Sign in to follow this  
buoy

3HR - Social Networking app UPDATE: It's just launched on MyPhone 1-Dec-2012!

Hi all - Been working on a web-based app (proof-of-concept model really) which is a social networking app to help people organize meeting up and all sorts of jazz (perhaps one day it may be useful during the next car cruise or whatever laugh.gif ). Anyway - main problem is I'm having the darndest time getting it to work properly across multiple browsers. I know firefox gets the shits big time and doesn't want to play fair. Looking into that object hierarchy right now, most likely a getElement issue :rolleyes: but this is just a proof of concept anyway.

Things I need to test on as many devices as possible (iPhone/iPad/Android/Blackberry/Palm/HTC rah rah rah):

* Creating a "want", voting on other people's wants and chatting via the messenger. If that works it's good to go. Otherwise please send me what happened *facepalm* and i'll look into it.

When you create a want, any of your friends should see that want. Then they can vote on your wants and it gets turned into a "DO" and you should be able to micro-tweet your status in getting to these places. Now it's FAR from perfect. It's got some limitations and some things can be done a lot better - but the heart of it seems to work just fine, the requirements are quite low :- internet access and at least a webkit browser like safari on iOS or Android... has been tested on the following so far:

Samsung Galaxy S 2.2 froyo (my phone)

iPhone 4 (a few friends' devices)

iPod Touch 4 (my device)

Blackberry Bold (wife's friend's phone)

As you can see it's been tested on, well, hardly anything at the moment laugh.gif but once I get some PMs of interested people I'll set up a ns.com beta testing group and we can take it from there. If I get about 5 people that will be enough :thumbsup:

BUG REPORT LIST SO FAR

==========================

Update Report

4th May, 2011

- Added Facebook Connect as a login option for new users.

3rd May, 2011

- Code to mitigate SQL-injection attacks inserted in to main codebase.

- Upgraded to multi-pass SHA256 hashing for password and salt.

1st May, 2011

- MD5 hashing + salt being implemented for passwords.

- Counting issues in Plan it view. Renamed "friends" back to "people" in Plan it view. Adjusted wording for single person grammar.

- Firefox Support added for Friends control panel section.

- Removed legacy friend-adding system from Friends tab.

- Added Logout "Are you sure?" prompt page.

30th April, 2011

- GPS Zoom options in Settings for Google Maps view.

- GPS Timeout options in Settings for Google Maps view.

- Do it view expanded to see all attendees invited to an event, not just friends of the user.

- Renamed "people" to "friends" in Plan it view.

- Added "Suggested by:" in each suggestion entry in the Plan It view.

- Allows chatting from the waiting room area in the Plan It section by clicking on the username of a friend.

28th April, 2011

- GPS support added

- Integration with Google Maps in Do It tab.

27th April, 2011

- Sorting of Friends by their Group category in Friends tab.

26th April, 2011

- Added front-end website (this site)

- Migrated web application to /app/

- Created 2 redirects for existing dos and wants to forward to the /app/ folder.

25th April, 2011

- Bugfix: Achievements would cause the mailer to crash when earning an achievement for social gathering.

- Bugfix: A user could view the profile of another user even if they were not friends (special thanks to James Bishop).

- Bugfix: When using the instant messenger and opting to send message via email, the box will remain checked unless the user unchecks it. Behaviour changed to reset the checkbox after each use.

- Default behaviour of new friend-adds is to follow each other.

23rd April, 2011

- Added achievements

- Modified home page to display last achievement

- Added user profiles

- Modified friends tab to display user profiles instead of email address.

- Fixed bug in Opera browser which prevented proper usage of the friends section.

- Fixed bug that allowed instant messenger to send blank messages.

22nd April, 2011

- Refined instant messenger chat to use iframes for smoother operation

- Added option in instant messenger to send recipient an email.

- Renamed "Messages" to "InBox" and added new message notifier next to it.

21st April, 2011

- Added instant messenger chat feature

- Renamed "My Details" to "Settings" and added Group names in settings menu.

- Refined the search / finder in Friends. Minimum 4 character search length required.

- Changed "Login" to "Email Address" as there is nothing specifying what to login with (special thanks to Antonio)

- In Wants section, made pull-down menus taller to help alleviate "JVK" browser rendering issues (special thanks to James Bishop)

- Changed behaviour of group toggle button in Friends tab to make it more friendly with Opera Browser (special thanks to Antonio)

14th April, 2011

- Added friend groups - up to 4 groups A, B, C and D.

- Modified friends view to be able to toggle friends from one group to another.

12th April, 2011

- Released to closed beta audience.

ISSUES

==========================

- Width issues in Android displays - ongoing.

- InBox notification does not refresh until the 2nd time viewing a new message.

Some Screenshots!

3hr-ss1.jpg 3hr-ss2.jpg 3hr-ss3.jpg 3hr-ss4.jpg

PS: Also, if anyone knows how to get any type of JOIN operation working on MySQL that would be great... cos no JOIN operations are working in my query at all.

eg: For the messenger, for the index, I want to show the last message of each user in a list from the LATEST message down... but it always returns 0 rows.

my current query is:

select * from messages INNER JOIN users ON messages.fromID = users.ID;

DOESN'T RETURN SHIT! :angry: wtf...

Havnt done sql since uni days!!

Maybe something like this.

SELECT messages.something, messages.something2 (what are your list in messages table? Better to list exactly what you what in here)

FROM messages

INNER JOIN users (im assumming this is a seperate table?)

ON messages.fromID=users.ID;

Edit: Actually happens if you use WHERE instead of inner join. What does that give you?

Best thing to do is write down the properties in a table on a paper and phyically write down the statements. It somethings helps build the queries.

Btw more than happy to test out your app. Looking at the screenshots now :)

does it produce an error msg or just return 0 rows?

No error just 0 rows.

There are 2 tables - that's right - users and messages. Users is the only table, for example, where their name exists. Everything else is joined by the userid which is just a number, so it would reduce overheads if I do a join on the users table to grab their full name.

also for the messages section, grabbing their latest message... still working on the joins but it's a no go.

FFS! lol... I got the message index query working with some combinatin of distinct and max() O_o

this works! :-

Query = "select distinct fromid, max(id) as maxid from messages where toid=" & user_id & " group by fromid order by maxid desc limit 100;"

go figure. but alas, message index is WORKING!!! *goes to have lunch in celebration!*

Im down for some beta testing, already apart of a few beta testing groups for Android Market Place, so can do my best.

Without even playing with the App yet, does it integrate with peoples Mobile Calendars? As that would make it awesome.. Currently with Exchange 2010/Office 2010 you can send out an invite.. Lets say you want me/you/siddr to have a phone conference at 8AM it will immeditely show the days available where we are all free at 8AM, so the need to 'Ask' if somebody is available is already in view if people have other bookings noted.

Just a tip anyway, and you may have already thought of it :)

^ that is impressive. but since the "niche" time period of this app is to organise something to do the next 3 hours, the calendar may not be as useful :lol:

it should work like this: load up 100 friends on this app. whip out your phone. i want to... HAVE COFFEE. then you get to see what other people want to do in the next 3 hours. then, you may make a suggestion eg have coffee at coffee bean, stanmore @ 3pm. it auto-notifies friends. then, a short while later you got your followers chiming in. they may vote for coffee bean or may suggest something else. you may even change your suggestion if you think it's a better idea. then at 3pm you're at the place you've nominated having coffee. we want it to be that quick and simple. *shrugs* i guess.

it's like eBay for your time. everyone is on there auctioning off suggestions on what to do, people vote and the most popular votes win. well it all works..................................................... in theory :lol:

ill test, i know jackshit about coding.. cause i know html doesnt count :lol:

have an ipad and iphone 3g atm.

Count me in as a beta tester. Galaxy S running Android 2.3.3.

If you build a native app and want to add NFC-like connectivity to your social networking features, check out http://developer.hoccer.com/

If you want to see what that API does, have a look at Hoccer in the market. It's currently a featured app, so should be easy to find. It's developed by mates of my cousin :D

Count me in as a beta tester. Galaxy S running Android 2.3.3.

If you build a native app and want to add NFC-like connectivity to your social networking features, check out http://developer.hoccer.com/

If you want to see what that API does, have a look at Hoccer in the market. It's currently a featured app, so should be easy to find. It's developed by mates of my cousin :D

holy crap this would be AWESOME to put in :o :o :o ... so people can get their friends to go to specific locations and stuff. going to look into it... since obviously javascript is easy to insert into the web apps :)

Beta testers so far:

Jimmy Bish

TougeR34

antonio

Sweet.

Oh yeah, the Javascript code is there. I was looking at the straight Java code for my own potential projects! :D

But yeah, it's got some amazing features by simply using motion gestures and GPS data. "Throw" files/photos/contacts/anything to each other, virtually "place" a file on the ground anywhere and have someone "pick it up" when they next arrive to the location, be aware of nearby users, and so on.

Those features may or may not work for your app, but I can tell your imagination is already ticking over! This is where social networking is going, so get on it!

And when you make your billions, I want a cut! :P

see i already have this silly code thing in the friends area for people to become friends. but they need to type in a code.... with NFC they could just hold down a button each and - poof! - they are friends. or something... will have to look into it more drool.gif

its early days yet man. i'm just happy if people find some use for it :lol:

see i already have this silly code thing in the friends area for people to become friends. but they need to type in a code.... with NFC they could just hold down a button each and - poof! - they are friends. or something... will have to look into it more drool.gif

its early days yet man. i'm just happy if people find some use for it :lol:

Hold phones together, shake hands, friend request and acceptance complete. Holy crap, I should patent that shit!! :lol:

haha, altho electronic hand shake is already pantended by Microsoft i think, its apart of 'Syncronisation' or it might be PALM that use the term 'hand shake' to synch 1 way or 2 ways etc..

on a different note, looks like spies are already onto it!!!

compromisedv.jpg

:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

Thanks guys for your input so far... there is, like, a zillion bugs rearing their ugly heads :lol: and opera browser :rolleyes: who would have thunk it had so many issues...

I'm keeping tabs (in the OT post) of what i've changed from the bug reports coming in.

The good news is (can't believe i'm saying this) that it works pretty much the same across all iOS devices. That's the iPad, iPod Touch 4 and iPhone 4 (tested)... but I have a feeling it *should* be the same situation on the iPad 2 and iPhone/3G/3GS models also. So good on you apple :thumbsup:

I cant figure out how to PM people on here :huh: I added you as a friend as I thought that might bring up a button, but it didn't lol.... I wouldn't mind being a beta tester although I don't think I would be that useful seeing I don't really hang out with ns people... let me know if I can help you in any way though...not as advanced in programming as the geeks above though :P love the concept!

Happy to be a BETA tester...

I am using the original iPhone 3g

Can't be too many of them floating around any more lol :-p

:thumbsup: pm's sent.

edit: dan, your pm account seems broken O_o ... i can't send you anything lol. aah well. just go to threehr.com - register and add me and we'll take it from there.

My Friend ID

My Code

Add me f**kers :D

My Friend ID

My Code

Add me f**kers :D

NVM I have figured the search out lol :-p

My Friend ID

My Code

Hey Buoy, are you able to set the email notifications to be a recipient-based option, rather than sender-based? Personally, I'd rather have control of whether or not I receive emails from others.

they are. you set who you want to follow and only then do you receive notifications. thumbsup.gif

Just a thought, once people have made their choice and the vote won, 60 min from the event taking place, gps information from participating members can be gathered, put into google maps and punch out an eta of each person sent to either the first person on location or the event organiser and updated every 15 min with the option to refresh "friend"location.

This could also be used for meeting locations, or meeting people for the first time.

Lets the first person there know how long they need to pretend to play with their phone for, and how late the last person is :P

^ that could even be another fully fledged app :) actually i think it exists..... it's like a radar of where all your friends are or something, isn't it?

google has friend tracking in maps now i think - so perhaps it could be included if their maps application supports it. but it would take place outside the app. and then, what about things like if people are running late? if they need a lift? who is getting the alcohol. who can't make it?

AHA! :) tha'ts why this app has microtweeting instead. everyone who is participating in an event can microtweet their status...so event organisers are made aware of the status of each attendee :) yeah :)

ps: perhaps the microtweeting can be similar to twitter 2.0 which can handle images, movies, gps links in case that stuff is required....??? or perhaps another "icon" next to their name can reveal their gps location with a hard-URL link to google maps?! shades.gif now you're talkin...

ps: perhaps the microtweeting can be similar to twitter 2.0 which can handle images, movies, gps links in case that stuff is required....??? or perhaps another "icon" next to their name can reveal their gps location with a hard-URL link to google maps?! shades.gif now you're talkin...

That would definetly be the best, Ive noticed Apps that do take off do all the tricky work for you, If the App can work with as little interation as possible its always a winner, and then alot of people who do have smart phones are pretty dumb.. So if the app figures everything out for you it would be pretty awesome.

- Buy creates Event "Lunch at Nandos, Open Invite 12:30PM"

- Buoy invites Antonio/Firechild.

- Antonio accepts to meet with Buoy/Firechild at 12:30PM Event: Lunch at Nandos

- Antonio's GPS Map Updates to showing in Africa eta 3days 16hours

- Firechild GPS Map Updates "within 10km"

- Buoys GPS Map Updates "within 1km"

- Jimmy thinks he should head out to lunch, checks 3HR for whats going on at the moment.

- Jimmy *sees event has happened and that his phone is showing he is within 250m of the event location"

- Jimmy accepts lunch.

Going a different route, it may get a negative reaction.

- Jimmy thinks he should head out to lunch, checks 3HR for whats going on at the moment.

- Jimmy *sees event has happened *

- Jimmy opens Navigation, types in the Address, Waits for Navigation to figure out where he is in comparison to where the event is (10minutes later)

- Jimmy cbf waiting for Navigation, goes out to lunch with Strippers.

http://www.threehr.c...pp/position.asp wtf...

i can always put it in... then when you view the entire group location, it just plots their last sent position onto googlemaps.... but i'm waiting for a better "method" to grab it off the phones... cos at the moment it doesn't seem to work with the api i got now.

maybe with phonegap ??? in fact there may be servers out there that just return a user's gps location for you (eg like servers that return a user's ip address http://www.xsdv.com/myip.asp as an example).

so this could still work eventually.

IE8 nope, i got an error "Functionality not Available"

Firefox 4.. doesnt really do anything?

I know with Android there are many apps that have settings of 'Check GPS location every 15/30/45/1hr/4/8/12/24" etc, i would expect Apple to be the same.. and both to store the GPS location that is received in a central position for all Apps to use instead of them all individually calling on the GPS for an Update as that would tear thru your battery life!

Sorta

Last Checkin: Melbourne CBD.

User Input *Yes, Update Checkin.*

Last Location known: %LocationManager/Your Home Address%

User Input *Yes, Update via GPS*

Current Location: %Your Work Address%

User Input *Confirm*

/im now way off topic.. lol....