Sign in to follow this  
Mandi

Mandi's 180sx - Parkway drive appreciation thread

885069_10151467726831489_1942875094_o.jpg

This is my build thread, car was originally a street used car as well until the tards at Transport put a stop to that..

1992 Nissan 180sx, manual, with a blacktop type x sr20det

MODS

Engine

GReddy Front mounted cooler

Zorst (tomei style dump, front pipe, catback and flutes at rear)

Rocker arm stoppers

GT2871rs disco tato

z32 afm

740cc nismo injectors

Bosch 040 fuel pump

Cams

Tomei oil pan

Drift? catch can

Pod air filter and metal induction pipe

Suspension

Greddy coilovers front & rear with camber tops

Front strut brace

Steering rack spacers

Adjustable caster bars

JJR hardened tie rods

JJR adjustable tie rod ends

Drivetrain

Standard 180 box

Exedy brass button clutch

Shimmed diff

Electrics

Apexi power fc n hand controller

Greddy profec b II Ebc

Boost gauge

Alarm & immobilizer ^.^

Exterior

ca pig nose front bar S14a jdm front bar

s13.4 conversion guards

s14a bonnet

s14a headlights/corner lights

standard rear bar

lowered

black respray Custom airbrushing, base coat res

various mandatory stickers for the tas drift competition

F1 mirrors

Topstage roof wing

Origin duckwing

Aero plastic skirts Vertex skirts

Greddy grace genuine plastic front lip

Origin style 25-30mm rear wide guards

Interior

Type x interior

Greddy gear shift ohmy.gif

GKTech deep dish steering wheel

Future mods

S14a front (have bonnet, headlights, corner lights) on

Respray

Undisclosed rims 17x9 +12 fronts 17x9.5 0 rears aswell as 15x8.5 -8 and 15x10 -40 longchamps wub.gifwub.gif

Velo seat

Origin type duckwing spoiler

Rear lip to be fitted

Factory skirts

GReddy gracer front lip

CAMs approved roll cage

Tuned by

Andy @ Pro Automotive! biggrin.gif

Let me just say was a pleasure to go there, was patient and did a good thorough job and very friendly!

Powerssss

195rwkws @ 13.56psi

222.1rwkws @ 17psi

Can chuck up dyno sheets later on.

I got the car about 18 months ago, bought it off ebay ^.^ he looked heaps different when I first got it (actually tidy minus the fitment disaster wheels).

Anywho just to bring this thread up to speed is a few things Ive done since owning it. A few pics below of what Ive done, will try keep it brief.

This is what it looked like when I first got it...

36801559.jpg

24440486.jpg

Not styled to my liking but got it for a great price and it was what I was after (s13/180). First thing I did was pull the decals off the side. Got hold of a set of drifteks (Black, multistud 17x9.5 +18 front & rear, wrapped in federal 595s 235/45/17s) and threw on various stickers for the track to keep CAMs happy.

Entered my first drift practise day (Dec 09') and came away with a rubber water hose at the rear of the engine being cut through by those terribad worm drive hose clamps and a touch up on the front passenger side headlight after smacking into the tyre wall at the bottom of the S's at the track. Other than than no majors and car ran well smile.gif

53756797.jpg

I entered last years state drift series purely for the fact to get as much track time as I can to improve myself. Practise practise practise!

To get the car re-rego'd (as bought the car from another state) I had to pull off the kit and put the 18s back on the car and raise it up, all the boring things no one wants to do to their car. So it all came off and I got hold of standard rear bar and a ca front bar, chucked them on and sprayed them in primer, looks pretty ratty but better than bright red/maroon imo.

10563016.jpg

Used 400grit sandpaper and primer in a prssure pack XD loves it.

I have since relowered the car and ran some drift days with the drifteks on it, I had to put a 5mm spacer on the front as the wheels kept smashing into the coilover on hard lock at the track, they also munched into my main wiring loom running along the driver side, which when it did it I was on the track and the headlights kept popping up when I entered a corner lol and the horn earthed out and I had to drive the rest of the way around the track an in the pits with the horn going off, kinda embarrassing tongue.gif

30807124.jpg

89800221.jpg

41948752.jpg

As you can see from the last pic the loom now sits on the lip/seam rather than under it, completely removing any possibility of some tyre on wire action.

Ran out of time for a bash plate so the last track day (few weeks back) I did terrible all day with a combination of shitting myself about smashing my new sump on the ripple strip (which sits a good deal lower than the stock one) and poor quality tyres spinning me off the track, wasnt a good day in regards as far as progression was concerned. Also in one of my battles my brakes line split and put the car out of more battles :/

From the day though I have taken a new found appreciation for good quality tires, the combination of power, speed and bad tires has been learnt.

Here is a few pics I have seen of me on track, the car atm is in dire need of presentation, especially considering how many of the other cars down here have really stepped it up on vehicle presentation, the turbo shat itself a few weeks back so hence buying the gt2871rs so the new s14 front was put on hold for a bit. Hopefully guards will be ordered soon.

49142954.jpg

• Upvote 1

I don't see why more girls aren't into motorsport.. It's one of the few sports where we're on a level playing field, we all push the same pedals, use the same gearstick and use a steering wheel.

I think more girls need to get into it

Agreed with Zenki Monkey, more girls need to get into the sport. Nothing better than a chic that knows her way around the tools / cars and is into them.

Awesome write up.

There are not enough girls out there on the track & it's always good to see when you are not only just driving but putting a lot of effort & time into the car yourself.

Can't wait to see where this goes as so far your write up was awesome. smile.gif

Also, bad days can be good days if you can look back and see what went wrong. Just means you know better for next time. (Well, that's what I keep telling myself.)

Edited by Evlgurl

needs longchamps......whistle.gif

keep it pig, looks mean and will hurt less when/if you smash it

^^^ I knew that was coming eventually. Surprised it took you that long Kemp.

Next we will get the PICS OR BAN posts....

i have seen pics of mandi...

So have I. The boy is lucky.

HAHAHAHAHAHa im freinds with the guy you brought it off il let him know you treating it right!

i have seen pics of mandi...

So have I. The boy is lucky.

Pics or double ban :lol:

+1 for chicks repping track pigs :thumbsup:

I don't see why more girls aren't into motorsport.. It's one of the few sports where we're on a level playing field, we all push the same pedals, use the same gearstick and use a steering wheel.

I think more girls need to get into it

I blame Kemp! :ph34r:

What I have noticed is (for guys and girls) there is a big step between watching at the track and actually getting out there. Its a fairly big commitment to take a vehicle out there especially without sponsors, with the potential of smashing your car (for some their only car), cams license, track entry fees, and unless you're dedicated to it people wont get out there.

Awesome write up.

There are not enough girls out there on the track & it's always good to see when you are not only just driving but putting a lot of effort & time into the car yourself.

Can't wait to see where this goes as so far your write up was awesome. smile.gif

Also, bad days can be good days if you can look back and see what went wrong. Just means you know better for next time. (Well, that's what I keep telling myself.)

Thanks I'm glad you liked it, it was longer but then I looked at it and went hrm thats a long ass first post, so kept it shorter ^.^ With more updates I can put a bit more up and pics etc. An its good to have a record of what the cars done etc :)

Definitely agree with ya about the bad days, I always like to take a lesson from them, so that way I can improve it next time I'm out there!

needs longchamps......whistle.gif

Agreed with you and blingy, I have em... for sale /cry :(

http://hardtuned.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=492250&st=0&p=6233013entry6233013

HAHAHAHAHAHa im freinds with the guy you brought it off il let him know you treating it right!

Oh noo way hahah thats hell funny, yea when I went to pick it up he was like what are you going to use it for? lol, its not as straight as he sold it too me now :P

• Upvote 1

Luv the wheels up/dirt turbo picthumbsup.gif

Lol cheers.

So update went to Symmons this saturday just gone, I have only driven this track once before. Hrm so I have finally found my arch nemesis (aka symmons first corner) which is this bitch of a hairpin lefthander. Spent most of the day ploughing into the stupid pebbles at the end of it :whistle:

The rest of the track is okay though, got some great advice and help from Josh though so really appreciative of getting to pick his brains. Now its up to me to learn to handbrake more than my dirty old clutch kicking at present :ph34r:

Not entirely confident about next round (at the same track - this track only gets one practice day and one round there a year so have very little experience with it) but at least it will give me more track time to try and get the first corner down.

This pay coming I'm looking to order my s13.4 guards and still trying to hunt down a JDM s14a front bar so if anyone wants to sell me one I'd be ever so grateful XD

After I come back from a holiday should be able to start making a presentable car!

img_0729.jpg

• Upvote 1

So update went to Symmons this saturday just gone, I have only driven this track once before. Hrm so I have finally found my arch nemesis (aka symmons first corner) which is this bitch of a hairpin lefthander. Spent most of the day ploughing into the stupid pebbles at the end of it :whistle:

Don't you mean boulders! there not pebbles :rant:

u still got the S14?

Yup sure do, it's making for a wicked lawn ornament, I will side track and put up some pics of it when I pulled the engine and box out, that's actually something I did all by myself ^.^

Spent most of the day ploughing into the stupid pebbles at the end of it :whistle:

Don't you mean boulders! there not pebbles :rant:

Oh ikr! So so glad my front conversion wasn't on yet. Poor old 86 copped it a bit huh, still nfi how you got out I was full stuck, every damn time! :lol:

Update: Paid for my s13.4 guards today XD

got s2 lights (got a trick up my sleeve with these too..)

s2 bonnet

s2 front corner lights

So round 3 was on on the weekend, was cold as shit out there >.> I spun on my qualifying run, the track was so fricken slippery was dumb. But I was entering with handbrake now so am very excited for the next practise day to perfect this! :) Car ran smoothly, no majors which was always good.

Bf made a bashplate for my car to protect my new tomei sump from anything that comes its way ie: a haggard ripple strip :ph34r: He even sprayed it for me, he also bent it so that the sway bar will be able to be put back on without any interference from the bashplate, worked a charm all day at the track! :thumb:

bashplate.jpg

bashplate2.jpg

Also got my head unit plug I have been waiting on (fkn ages >.>) I will take a few pictures and post them up of how I will wire my head unit in, showing the tools and materials I'll use to give others some ideas of how to do a nice wiring jobbie instead of some backyard old mate dodgy.

• Upvote 1

u still got the S14?

Yup sure do, it's making for a wicked lawn ornament, I will side track and put up some pics of it when I pulled the engine and box out, that's actually something I did all by myself ^.^

impressive and a turn on at the same time

Okay so bit of a side project update. On teh 200 :hypo:

So going to get my tax done this week or next so will be getting it running, basically the engine cacked itself and has been sitting sadly for some time now. To bring peoples up to speed with it this is pics I took end of last year.

This is something I actually did by myself, I pulled the engine and box out by myself and an engine crane borrowed of my uncles mate. A few pics of how I went.

New Engine, old engine in car still, bonnet off (its effing shit too and need to get another) and the car had a few spray can spider/bug bombs released into it muahah :ph34r:

IMG_0245r.jpg

Pulled out radiator, fan, fan shroud, unclipped engine wiring loom, coilpacks and removed appropriate cooler pipes to allow for an easy pull out. The worst thing to unbolt was the driveshaft at the end of the box. For starters I hate getting under jacked up cars and secondly there was heaps of cobwebs under there so was absolutely shitting bricks that some monster of a spider was going to land on my face.

IMG_0247r.jpg

These two the engine is started to lift out, I only need to rearrange the chain once on the engine, if you don't get the right pick up and angle on it it makes for a real fkn prick to get out enough to miss the firewall, front of the car and have to keep in mind enough of an angle to get the box out.

IMG_0250r.jpg IMG_0251r.jpg

As you can see here I had it rubbing against the front radiator support, it was sitting on there slightly but made sure I kept the tension onto the engine crane and didn't damage it. Also gives you a bit of an idea of the kind of angle required to get it out of the bay.

IMG_0252r.jpg

Engine out! Much tidier :lol:

IMG_0255r.jpg

I didn't have much room in dad's shed so here are the two engines, I put them close together so it would be a more efficient process of swapping the inlet manifold, turbo manifold, turbo etc.

IMG_0290r.jpg

That's pretty much the only pic I took of pulling of the clutch and pressure plate. I had to wedge a flathead in between the teeth to get it undone without slipping. I did snap off one of these when I was putting it onto the new engine, had a massive rage out, threw a spanner, said some swears and ran inside like a little girl :unsure:

IMG_0355r.jpg

Anyway I got the engine and box ready to go back in and back up on the engine crane and dad came down to help me get it back in, it really is a two person job on a 14, the tailshaft was being a real prick not wanting to line up and the engine mounts were playing silly buggers. Without the fan and radiator out there is no way we would of had the small amount of play we did to get it in.

So as it stands its all in and now needs a few bits and pieces (robbed some bits for other cars), eg rear calipers back on, fuel pump, clutch pedal, it also needs a new chain timing tensioner fitted and the engine timed, which too be completely honest I really cbf'd doing (bf & myself really need to be concentrating on our drift cars at the moment), so I'm going to take it to someone to put the final bits and pieces on, and I will gladly pay for that to be done because it's one less headache I have to deal with.

So hopefully in the coming weeks this bus will be on road again ^.^ Wouldn't mind some new rims and getting the interior tidied up a bit, but that will come after the 180 is sorted.

looking good mandi ive been wondering what happen to that car

make sure u update us with your progress

Dedication and props for taking on a massive job yourself, no way id be pulling the engine outa my car myself thumbsup.gif

Yea cheers :) It's actually not that hard all things considered, helps picking up a few tricks along the way too :)

Yep will keep ya updated on the 200.

As for the 180, with be starting the 14 front conversion in the next week or so, so will have some pics up of that.

I need to find myself a girl like you the bf must be really happy to have found a girl like you :)

Cars are looking great remember the 14 from a while ago and wondered what happened to the build.