Sign in to follow this  
Lucas.

To keep or sell (4x4)

Hey guys, i know youll all be like "do what ya want" rah rah... i understand that but im just after some personal opinon, on what you have done and how you found the car.

so first up.... im thinking of selling up big red and buying something 1998-2003 gu... 4.2 turbo diesel.

my first question...

how much would big red be worth.... keeping in mind i have every receipt, and calculated i spent nearly 14k? after asking price when i bought it.

List of mods:

4.2D

5 speed manual

416,XXX kms on engine (Note engine was rebuilt at 230,XXX so is only 200,000 od old)

3" dobsion lift

33" muds x 6

3" exhaust (straight thru)

Arb bull bar

2x 240 lightforce spotties

2x 100 rear lights

fire extinguisher

safari heavy duty clutch

adj panhard rods

snorkel

brand new roters and brakes maybe 100km old?

brand new slave and master cylinder

radioator flushed with acids.

centurary battery

new alternator

new starter motor

uhf radio (no arial as somebody thought the deserved it more -.-)

110% reliabal, starts everytime. goes anywhere

How much would you pay? i was looking on car sales and stock auto lpg/gas ones go up to 9k??? would i be rich in asking 10k??

My next question, i wanna sell it and buy a stock gu (around the 10k range) people have expirence with these???

and would you rather wagon/ute? whats more pratical

sorry for all the questions guys just trying to see what i do.. get opinions to help ME MAKE THE DECISION!

Cheers lucas

(excuse the mistakes written on iphone)

i doubt you'll find a TD42T GU for 10k.........they're a sought after truck

what year is it? Id say looking generally at GQ prices, 10k is going to be top end, so if i was buying it'd want to impress me

well i found a 4.2td gu 1998 wagon for 9k 350k and a ute (coils) for 10.5k 280k

also matty, there are heaps of gq.s autos. petrol/gas stock going for like 10k? but there like 96-98 model

Id be very weary of a 4.2 gu for 10k..personally i do think there overpriced but that doesnt change the fact that a decent 4.2d gu sells for alot more than 10k and if you had a gu that would normaly sell for 15k why would you sell it for 10k?? In your original you never said what sorta car "bigred" is but id say if you have a decent 4x4 that you have spent time and money on then id keep it.. Better the devil you know

Ah big red is a Ford maverick, essentially and patrol gq

Yeh there a good rig id keep that rather than buy a clapped out later model. Im a 4x4er aswell iv got a lifted pajero with air lockers and 33" muddies and realy a gu only has a newer body on it than ur current car both are live axle with bullet proof drivelines so id keep what you have honestly a good 4.2 gu is 20k so you would be getting a shit box for 10k all you would get is someone elses problems

still got the stock gear for it?

can you swap it back to stock & use the springs & panhards on a gu? wheels will fit & springs should fit...

I'd be extremely weary of a $10,000 4.2TD GU considering they are a $20,000+ car

Yeh there a good rig id keep that rather than buy a clapped out later model. Im a 4x4er aswell iv got a lifted pajero with air lockers and 33" muddies and realy a gu only has a newer body on it than ur current car both are live axle with bullet proof drivelines so id keep what you have honestly a good 4.2 gu is 20k so you would be getting a shit box for 10k all you would get is someone elses problems

Yeah cheers got the imput mate. Point taken :)

can you swap it back to stock & use the springs & panhards on a gu? wheels will fit & springs should fit...

I wouldn't do that anyway. I wanna buy a stock gu and just drive it for a bit. I get my full licence's when I'm 20 so only 8 months. So looking to be a bit Mature for a but and save, then do it propely 4" lockers 33's etc

I'd be extremely weary of a $10,000 4.2TD GU considering they are a $20,000+ car

I thought it was cheap. I did have a small ding in the door and looked to have company badges on the door?

I also think my maverick as at the stage were I eaither keep and deal with it, or sell before I wreck it?

Only decent GU you will get for 10k will be either a 2.8TD or 4.5 Petrol. Wouldnt touch a 10k 4.2TD GU with a 100ft pole. It will either be a thrashed out DX with a turbo on it or a factory 4.2TD with a Million kays.

Keep the GQ until you have 20k spend on a decent one.

Something wrong with the 2.8 td?

In Stock form there not to bad, certainly not a powerhouse though. But if you want to go 33's or even 35's then they get pretty thirsty and really have to work hard. There just as reliable as any diesel if maintained properly though, all the horror story's of cracked heads etc are just from lack of maintenance or cooking them. My brother uses one to tow horse floats, over 250k's on his and only prob was it did a fuel pump but its 100% stock.

What about doing engine mods, bigger turbo? Exhaust, etc? That make it better or bit really.

Full 3" zorst, lift pump and chip seem to be it.

TBO with a full straight through 3" they sound awesome!

lol, the 2.8 in the GU is just an intercooled, electronically controlled version of my engine lucas :lol:

flog the f**k outta them, they love it!

Do u recon it could be a go?

What about practicality? Anyone here own a ute and regret it?

utes are awesome until you want to drive more than a single person somewhere

i love em, but there impractical in a handful of situations

although with owning one you NEVER have to be the designated driver :lol:

i think practicality the downs go as far as...

-not being able to roll your seat back and sleep

-not being able to take more then 2 people?

Plus side,

-Chuck tools in the back (can sorta do in a wagon)

-Camping trips... swags/wood/etc can easily be on the back

yeah idk... fkn hate making these decisions.

im talking about theses types of cars

http://www.carsales....words=&__N=1216 1246 1247 1252 1282 4294963846 4294963358&silo=1011&__No=75&seot=1&tsrc=allcarhome&__Nne=15&trecs=1414&__sid=131349869820

http://www.carsales....words=&__N=1216 1246 1247 1252 1282 4294963846 4294963358&silo=1011&__No=105&seot=1&tsrc=allcarhome&__Nne=15&trecs=1414&__sid=131349869820

nice, stock and i recon i could sell my car for around that price. set up for travelling sorta thing. lol

heres the cars i was talking about

the ute, not turbo. early povvo TD42

the wagon.....if you're going to buy a 2.8, make sure its got a service history. if its been looked after they'll last ages. if its been neglected, you can run into troubles. thats what everyone who talks about 2.8s says, and i can attest to that. look after them and they're just as good as any 4.2

i know a couple of guys with very late model GU's, 4.8 petrol and 3.0 TD (after 2005 model). they all rave how good the GU's are but problem is now neither wants to risk even scratching them :lol:

I wouldn't do that anyway. I wanna buy a stock gu and just drive it for a bit. I get my full licence's when I'm 20 so only 8 months. So looking to be a bit Mature for a but and save, then do it propely 4" lockers 33's etc

I thought it was cheap. I did have a small ding in the door and on the door looked to have company badges ?

I also think my maverick as at the stage were I eaither keep and deal with it, or sell before I wreck it?

Personaly, after being given a 2010-2011 Hilux TD dual cab with less then 16,000km on it as a work car, I would never buy an ex company car.

It drove like it was 20 years old and I was always taking it down to get something else fixed on it. The conditions that it was drove in deffently wasn't helpfull but the people that drove it, just didn't care for it like it needed. Just be careful is all.

Well I just bought myself and extra cab hilux and I'm heaps happy with it, will have pics and specs up soon in the members ride section ;)

i think practicality the downs go as far as...

-not being able to roll your seat back and sleep

-not being able to take more then 2 people?

Plus side,

-Chuck tools in the back (can sorta do in a wagon)

-Camping trips... swags/wood/etc can easily be on the back

yeah idk... fkn hate making these decisions.

Extra cab ftw :)