Sign in to follow this  
SIR-014

GU Patrol Towing Issues

Hey all,

So Im looking around atm about buying a 4WD and have always liked the GU's, due to my price range I am probably looking at the petrol version.

Basically this car will need to be able to tow up until 2-2.5T behind it..

Now I know they can easily pull the weight thats not the issue, but basically I have heard from people that the GU (1997-2001 model) have severe problems with the motor blowing up if put under load.

I am new into the 4WD field so want to find out everything before I go buy something and want to ensure it will last

Any help is muchly appreciated

Al

Welcome mate :) firstly what's your price range? And secondly. Not all the gu engines were shit.

The 2.8td is a very strong engine and almost worth the extra coin.

Cant help to much on petrol engines but the one engine that was crap was nicknamed the "grenade"

Can't remeber the engine though!

My price range is hoping anything up to bout 14-15k

Like I said the engine thing is just something I have heard from someone but its good to check.

I am keen for a patrol as I have always had Nissans and wouldnt mind sticking with them, but I am open to any other suggestions if someone thinks there is something better out there suited to me. It will barely be driven as I have a work van but it will be driven on weekends so wont rack up the k's and used to tow up to 2.5 tonne maybe once a month sometimes twice

the "hand grenade" engine is the ZD30. Keep FAR FAR away from them.

most of the ZD30's from the series 1's that had problems would've been fixed by now.

Id try to stick to a diesel if your towing, especially large loads. Fuel bills are huge with petrol 4x4s

your options for the GU would be first and foremost, the TD42 turbo diesel, and secondly, the ZD30 4cyl turbo diesel, which can be a good motor if looked after.

Of course in the Toyota range, you could find a turbo diesel 80 series, which are great cars, or maybe a standard 1HZ 100 series which are a bit of a slug, but can be turbo'ed later down the track. Both cars have duel fuel tanks and are reliable as all hell.

good luck choosing!

Got a 80 in the family on fuel, after weeks of telling them not to buy a petrol 4x4, they did.. best i could get was a tad under 20lts on the freeway with no load.. Worst eco ever...

Try find a older 100 series standard 1hz, 15k will see you find one easy. 4.2lt standard, should out live you too.

Considered a late model GQ 4.2TD? You would probably get a mint one for that coin and some left over for modifications.

Yep had a couple of petty patrols in the family they are thirsty as, youd be looking at 17+L/100km not towing anything will just skyrocket from there with a load on the back.

Currently have 2 of the newer series zd30's and love them for towing. 2.5 T on the back of mine is nothing fuel economy isn't too much different to unloaded. However my old man tows 4T ( his boat, which is over the load limit) behind his on a weekly basis it tows it not a drama at all but does get extremely thirsty

It pains me to say it, but if all it is going to be is a tow car then go the 100 series standard. As midnight mods said it will outlast you, and they tow excellent. I towed well over a tonne with mine with 33"s and it didnt even feel like it was there. 2.5t will be noticeable but still will do it easily, and definatly chuck a turbo on it.

yep, I own an 80 series turbo diesel, and I average 12l/100km's at all times, haven't had the trailer on the back yet towing a car so I couldn't tell you towing figures, but I can guarantee it will kill the petrol equivalent no worries at all.

the 100 series standard will have a newer engine and drive-line, but the interior is simply too agricultural to be comfortable for long drives, if you can afford a GXL or an RV model I'd spend the extra cash. Otherwise I think the 80 series turbo diesel is the way to go...if you can find one that's been looked after and serviced regularly. the post 95 models with the 1HD-FT motor is better buy than the earlier 1HD-T, however people who own those models barely let them sell for less than 20k :(

If you want a good yow car mate, (it's very offtopic and out of most price ranges) but the new 70 series v8 turbs. Just bought my car back by trailer from Vic and was passing stock gu's up hill with a car on the back.

So much power yet still manages around 12lt/100km

You joking. A stock one of these pulled me out when I f**ked my clutch.

Ultimate reps for a stock car

I just wanted to plug my car.... :lol:

/whoring

So when people have been saying I could easily get a 100 series or a 4.2TD Patrol for around 14-15 are these the manual versions or automatic. Because that is one of my requirements is to be manual just personal preference thats all. Since I have been looking into it this, these are the 2 cars which have caught my eye but without researching into greatly I thought they may be outta my $$ range, so if people think they have seen them going for around my price range then im happy to wait if it means getting what I want.

Considered a late model GQ 4.2TD? You would probably get a mint one for that coin and some left over for modifications.

I have considered it but I wouldnt mind something a bit newer and the new shape if I can afford it, if I was to get a GQ I would want to spend no more then 9-10k on it.

Shitty factory toyota LSD's and no front locker stopped that one by the looks. And go the GQ!

I cant wait to try my 80 series out offroad and compare it to my GQ patrol. I know out of the box, the patrol is a more capable truck, but out on the blacktop the Toyota is so much quieter and comfortable then the Nissan. Not to mention more powerful, better on fuel, and just looks better :rolleyes:

nothing wrong with zd30's if you know what ur doing.. on paper they have more power and torque than td42. just need to do a egr block off plate ($30 and easy) and install a daws valve (they have a vnt turbo which is vacumme controlled and controlled by computer. the daws valve acts as a bleeder valve and stabalizes boost) we do tons of them at work..

they blow up because the egr re-circulates hot exhaust gas back in to #4 inlet runner and at light throttle the boost spikes ALOT!! and combined with a dirty afm, the egt's can see over 700deg on light throttle which in turn melts a hole in #4 piston..

nothing wrong with zd30's if you know what ur doing.. on paper they have more power and torque than td42. just need to do a egr block off plate ($30 and easy) and install a daws valve (they have a vnt turbo which is vacumme controlled and controlled by computer. the daws valve acts as a bleeder valve and stabalizes boost) we do tons of them at work..

they blow up because the egr re-circulates hot exhaust gas back in to #4 inlet runner and at light throttle the boost spikes ALOT!! and combined with a dirty afm, the egt's can see over 700deg on light throttle which in turn melts a hole in #4 piston..

Thankyou very much for that info, really helps me out now in regards to looking for a GU now

While on gu's are the 4.2td any good?

If you wanted a diesel tow rig/battle truck that would be my choice.... pretty much a bomb proof combo. I'd be hunting for one of the last of the TD42t GU's, but you'll pay top dollar for a good one.

If you wanted a diesel tow rig/battle truck that would be my choice.... pretty much a bomb proof combo. I'd be hunting for one of the last of the TD42t GU's, but you'll pay top dollar for a good one.

For what you pay for a late model GU with the 4.2td you could buy a cheap clean Petrol one, put a durmax in it with lift, tyres and lockers. Fark me they charge a premium.

If you want a good yow car mate, (it's very offtopic and out of most price ranges) but the new 70 series v8 turbs. Just bought my car back by trailer from Vic and was passing stock gu's up hill with a car on the back.

So much power yet still manages around 12lt/100km

we have these a work utes. personally not a fan.

epic