Sign in to follow this  
NISSAN_200

80 Series Landcruiser

Hey Boyz & Girls,

I have just started getting into the 4wd scene, and I have been doing some reading and research.

I was looking at getting a 4wd maybe even a 80 Series Landcruiser.

I have got a question regarding the 'diff lock' option, do all 80 Series Landcruisers come with front and rear diff locks? Don't all 4wd come with diff locks standard? (i.e. Hilux and other 4wds)

Cheers

Allan

I no that all the 80 series land cruisers have front and rear diff locks, they are a good reliable 4wd and can tackle most things that u face it with

u getting a petrol or diesel 80 series? the 1hz deisel there slugs but they can handle anyfin, but the petrol ones 1fz are good to but they drink alot and they tend to leak abit of oil

I no that all the 80 series land cruisers have front and rear diff locks, they are a good reliable 4wd and can tackle most things that u face it with

^^ that's incorrect, the 80 series has front & rear diff locks as a factory option... not many people went with this option due to the price hence it's rather rare to find one with F&R factory diff locks, how ever they have a centre diff lock due to them being constant 4wd. the centre diff lock button will lock the transfer case only so it feed 50/50 drive to the front & back wheels.

now toyota being as awesome as people think they are they have a piss weak rear LSD that will do nothing off road.

I was looking at getting a petrol one mate

Have a 80 series in the house hold. does around 18lts highway, 25lts around town to the 100km. so factor in a gas conversion.

The diff locks make a massive diffidence but as said, most is just a center diff lock. not F and R, the car will go through anything with them on

Just buy a diff locker from arb or tjm ?

you'd be looking at adding 3.5k to the purchase price for a drive in, drive out F&R difflock install from either TJM or ARAB's

you'd be looking at adding 3.5k to the purchase price for a drive in, drive out F&R difflock install from either TJM or ARAB's

be atleast 4k from them...

buy 2x arb lockers from usa, get a pump also, and pay somoene to install it then you might get it for $3500.

ARB want around 1200 each locker, plus install, plus pump.

Unless you plan to do some crazy 4x4ing the factory center lock with some muddies will do most hobbie day trips in mud

buy 2x arb lockers from usa, get a pump also, and pay somoene to install it then you might get it for $3500.

Unless you plan to do some crazy 4x4ing the factory center lock with some muddies will do most hobbie day trips in mud

I agree :)

I agree :)

Thanks for the information guys! appreciate it

I was looking at getting a petrol one mate

Have a 80 series in the house hold. does around 18lts highway, 25lts around town to the 100km. so factor in a gas conversion.

The diff locks make a massive diffidence but as said, most is just a center diff lock. not F and R, the car will go through anything with them on

if you fit manual locking front hubs so you can dissconect the drive from the front wheels you'll pick up a bit better mileage. although i gotta say 25 litres per 100 in the city is lousy... even worse than a 4.8 petrol GU.. even my 5.6litre V8 Scout gets 17 litres per 100 in the city.

you can get cheap arb copy air lockers from china for about 450ea plus compressor

china 4x4

and there is a comparo on youtube somewhere between the china version and arb and if you play it on mute and not listen to the bullshit they tell you the china locker wont break before your cv's do

or the other option is to go with a auto locker from 4wd systems, there about 500ea i think and dont require compressor or wiring or anything and is a fairly simple diy kit