Sign in to follow this  
MidnightMods

Install diff under leaf springs

I have seen this a few times on jacked up 4x4's.

Do installing the diff under the leaf spring gain much more lift?

what are the negative effects of doing this? seems you can gain an extra 20-30mm lift by doing this?

the hiluxs have diff under leafs standard, and the early ones have both front and back under.. you'd gain 2"-3" of lift doing this but then you'd want to use a much flatter arched leaf to maintain some stabillity. really its easier to just get your leaves re-arched for more lift and use extended shackles or if your keen on some major mods then convert to coil springs. i think some model Chevy Blazers or Silverados are axle under leafs too.

so no point getting new lifted leafs? Just get these re done and use some shackles?

any idea on what price to do the springs?

usually new lifted leaf spring are actually longer from "eye to eye" to account for the extra arch in the spring, resetting standard springs with more arch in them technically makes them shorter which will have a negative effect on your shackle angle.

for decent ride, comfort & flex you need to aim for around a 45* degree shackle at static ride hight, extended shackles will mess with your caster angles & pinion angles, i would look at replacement springs & shocks if funds allow.

Yer funds are fine for the lift, Main problem is I want to run 33's on my 4runner, which means I need a 2 in lift, or a body lift.

Problem is it is IFS, so trying to find other ways around it, I also want the rear to be 2in's or so taller

cut the guards, do a spring lift, add bumpstop spacers, low is the new lift. B)

navara is under diff aswell standard. if you just want to get rid of the normal saggy ass of the 4 runner just put the diff under the leaves, fairly straight forward job, id try and stay away from extended shackles if you can as they act a bigger leverage point and you get the diff moving side to side more causing a shit ride on road

if your happy with the ride quality yea why not, last thing you want is a shit ride from too harsh springs