Sign in to follow this  
Jaytee

driving on sand

Hi,

I've just purchased a Holden Crewman Cross8 which is the AWD v8 without high/low gearing. I got it for mainly for the tow capacity but recently I had a thought since its AWD, how capable would it be on sand.

I've never driven on sand but have read up on the basics such as deflate tyres and leaving the lead shoes at home.

so I got a few questions...

Since its full time AWD and w/o high/low gearing, is it still possible for me to take it on the sand?

I have two set of wheels and tyres, Standard - which is 225/55/17 or 245/45/18. which would be better out of the 2 sets?

I'm looking to get a set of traction mats (ebay) incase i get stuck, would these be ok and any other accessories would be nice to have?

anything else I need to know about soft roading?

thanks.

Whatever you do. Don't give it the beans. You'll get bogged quicker than you can blink.

The wider tyres would be better as they cover more surface area. Which spreads the weigh of the car on a larger patch of sand.

Not sure how you would go airing down but id recommend as low as possible without risking debeading te tyre.

they run a 38:62 front-rear torque bias so it's going to want to dig holes with the rears the whole time.

as Truck said, tyre pressures are going to be the key factor. you can go pretty low if you're only running on flat beaches, sharp turns in soft sand is what will debead a tyre.

if it does feel like it's starting to bog down, get off the gas before it digs holes, roll a track back & forth compressing the sand with ZERO wheel spin once you have a decent length of compressed track (could be a car length or 10) get it going again with zero wheel spin gaining momentum to punch through that section.

momentum is the key to sand driving, but excessive speed will end in tears... it's a fine line of finding traction & being able to carry enough momentum to keep it moving.

personally, i'd make sure you've got someone to recover you & take a camera.

hmm.. from the sounds of it, it is not recommended.

what about a X-Trail 4X4? would that handle better? I know they are not an off roading car but how would they handle beach driving?

I'm thinking of purchasing one sometime next year.

if you're chasing a soft roader with any sort of real world 4wding capability you can't go past the current shape Grand Vitara's, they are the only soft roader that has a transfer case & low range reduction.

pretty sure the X-Fail is FWD & sends drive to the rear when put in 4wd. they're known to overload/over heat the centre diff in sand & stop sending drive to the rear wheels leaving you in FWD & most likely bogged.

i wouldnt go anywhere too extreme with an awd car or you better have someone with a 4wd near to pull you out