Sign in to follow this  
SpotMan

New SA spotlight laws?

Hey guys,

Wondering if anyone knows if the new laws that spotlight anywhere but you bull bar are illegal? because i have 5 spotlights that i want to put on my roll bar, after all the work ive done on my ute the last thing i want is to get defected.

any info on this would be great!

Fire away guys and gals! laugh.gif

I thought spotties on the roof were already illegal tbh

Wait for someone to correct me but I think the ruling is something like nothing above 1.5m.

yeah, i had a chat to a cop who came into my work today, he said he hasn't heard anything but Transport SA might have changed something. i suppose the cops are the ones who defect you and if they don't know they wont defect you :D

Max 5 forward facing lights at a max height of 1.6 from the ground

hmmm..... i have 7 that will be going on the front :\ 2 of them are crap so i wont wire them in :D

What is it that you're trying to see with that many lights?

I'm pretty sure bigfoot doesn't exist.

Did you not read his screen name? How can he be SpotMan without a shit load of spotties?! I fully condone the use of multiple spot lights! The more the merrier I say.

haha, thats not why my mans Spotman but thats a good one ;D, nahh i got given a heap of them (5) they aren't that good but will look awesome on the rollbar :D if they were shit (as my headlights are crap aswell) i was going to buy some Narva unltima 225's ones to go on the bull bar :D

Max 6 forward facing lights at a max height of 1.2m from the ground

fixed

I know this is deviating slightly from the original topic, I'm guessing trucks have a different regulation for this (obviously), but does anyone know about the legality of the L.E.D. strip lighting that they increasingly seem to be running?

as far as i know "clearance lights" are a different story & i know what you're getting at some end up looking like a christmas tree

tthere is a racing team in adelaide, bsm or something like that. the truck that tows that around has 5 spotties on the roof.... easily above 1.2 :lol: not sure how it gets away with it .

My mate got defected in his 06 navara for spotlights on his roof racks and for fishing rod holders! Rod holders understandable! Spotlights?? The more light the better you see yeah...

i think youll find the idea of the heigh restrictions because, when approaching a chrest if you have 932074028934 lights on your roof blaring the other way, you wont see the shitty day lights coming towards you... then when the reach the peak of the hill BAM u blind them.

appppppparently

i think youll find the idea of the heigh restrictions because, when approaching a chrest if you have 932074028934 lights on your roof blaring the other way, you wont see the shitty day lights coming towards you... then when the reach the peak of the hill BAM u blind them.

appppppparently

That makes sense though!

i've heard a few different reasons for this law, including different reasons from 2 different cops..

from what i can gather, the law is you can only have 6 forward facing lights, including your headlights and you can not have more spotlights than headlights. the lights must be within a certain distance from the headlight line, they can be higher, like mounting them on a bullbar, but not obstruct your forward vision.

trucks can get away with them on the roof if they are 'cab over' because the lights are within the minium distance from the original headlights. so basically if you have a 4x4 L300, then you can mount spotlights on your roof, otherwise the cops will do you.

and the reason for the crackdown is because of all the country dudes with the rows of spotties on their utes roofs, some idiot law maker believes that having lights on the roof of a ute will confuse other drivers as to where the front of the car is when looking from the sides... and they may crash into the front thinking they have clearance...

i'm not making this up... :lol:

hmmm stupid law makers -______- might on into transport sa and ask them myself :\ coz as we all know the basiclly change the laws daily....

Edited by SpotMan

hmmm stupid law makers -______- might on into transport sa and ask them myself :\ coz as we all know the basiclly change the laws daily....

Dosent natter what they say. It's up to regency and the cop u get at the time

The cop that i talked to was an old fella and he said he hasn't heard anything in their laws about it and that he doesn't see a problem with it,. He said for me to go into services SA and see whats in their laws, but then again last time they told me to ring regency direct, then regency told me i should talk to the people in Service SA about it...... lol so i dunno who i go to now :P (plus last time i went into services SA they made do all this paper work and book a time to go over the pits just to check a new engine number which took me a week to fill out -______- then when i got to regency they said all i had to do was fill out one form and send it to them. their a f**king joke lol)

I called regency about this recently as I have spot lights on the roof of my bus. I was told that any spot lights mounted beyond the front of the vehicle are illegal. That said I see heaps of *milkshakes* running them still and I haven't had any trouble yet. At worse it would only be a $25 clearance at a cop shop anyway right?

i got told from a sargent at a purpose setup "roadworthy station" that is 4 forward facing plus headlight mounted no higher than the bonnet.

exactly the reason i got rid of my roof spotties

trucks come under different regs, and as gus said, clearance lights are a different matter.

then again, i had clearance lights on my steps at one point and got told by a cop at a bretho that i "wasnt a truck" so i couldnt have them...........i nearly pissed myself laughing

lol i have a few clearence lights on my tray but they are above the min height, hmm i wonder if i could put them up there but not plug them in? but then again im pretty sure there's a law that all lights on vehicle must be working..

ok so does any one know what the official law is because my brother was just defected for having 4 spotlights on the roof rack of his L300

Edited by Jordan Stocker

ur not aloud to have over 5 forward facing light including headlight, all lights have to be on the same level. plus every light on the car must work BUT a cop told me to get around one on the roll bars etc wire them into a separate switch so if a cop asks they are for "offroad" use with is perfectly legal as they still work but just not in use for on road applications. but by law they still have to be wired into ur highbeam with an isolating switch .

i mean really from a distance a cop wont be able to tell if they are on or not as u have to dim them anyways

not sure when, who or what told you it's 5 forward facing lights but it's wrong, it's even been said further up this thread by someone else.

lights must be in "pairs" & no more than 6 forwards facing lights. the centre of the lens must be under 1200mm from the ground.

as an example, if you own a GQ patrol, you can have 2 other pairs of "driving lights", however if you own an 80 series land cruiser with their factory quad headlight set up, legally you can only run pair of spot lights as the the 4 factory hi/low lenses are classed as 2 pairs.

to the dude with the L300 NFI, it's a bit of a grey area, but i'd say you'd be pushing shit up hill trying to fight it.

Atari u love to be right ayy?

if they are on a separate switch and for 'off road' use it doesn't matter tho? that's what a copper told me anyways... and some of those LED light bars are awesome! considering getting one for a work light on my tray.

f**k I even called regency to ask and didn't get the same answer as you atari. They don't know shit. I actually tried deciphering the ADRs as well but it made my brain hurt.

My roof mounted ones aren't wired up yet. Can I just say that I am transporting them on my roof rack? :P