Sign in to follow this  
killabeez

Which 4x4 ute for towing and daily etc

Heya,

Im looking at getting a 4x4 as a daily and to tow my 180 to the track. I also want to use it for other stuff like beach/bush driving.

I think I should have about 6 grand to spend

Im after a dual cab ute (this is a must) anyone have any recommendations?

It needs to be reliable as a number 1 priority, it needs to have enough grunt to comfortably (and safely) tow my 180 long distances, and prefereably not use too much fuel as it'll also be my daily.

Anyone know about the advantages of running diesel? how big a diesel engine would be enough to tow a car? What about lpg? If it had a lift kit (nothing too much) would this still be ok (and safe) for towing?

Any advice would be appreciated as I know f**k all about fourbies but have been considering a triton or a hilux???

Cheers,

for 6k mate u wont find many that will. tow "confortably" and be a fuel efficent daily... youll either get

a good tower - shit on fuel

a shit tower - good on fuel.

my maverick almost has the best of both worlds. get about 550km out of a tank city driving and tows fine.

but if you want something best of both worlds at your budget look for somethung turbo diesel. or direct injection. carby's will flop.

I would be more inclined to get a SWB Cruiser/Patrol..

RB30E Patrol would be a good as a daily as well.

Yeah I was considering the hilux since I they tried to detroy one on topgear but failed. Is there a certain engine size I should be looking for in the diesel range?

Also what about the maverick? Is that a reliable fourby? Could it safely tow a car long distances too?

And a rb30e would b awesome. I have owned plenty of r31s so have experience with them. But would it tow a car interstate?

Mate my personal expirence with patrols/mavericks is you can't kill then.

My maverick is 400k on chassis and 200k+ on engine and I recon it will go for 600k.

It's reliable, has done many long trips. Tows my track car with ease, and can still take it 4x4 and pretty much get anywhere. And it's my daily, flies under the radar. I've had 4 cops around me and been through and rbt. No worries.

IMO patrol td 2.8 or 4.2 diesel is the way to go but you need to up your budget.

Hilux or Patrol

Depending on budget look around for a hilux thats had a v6/v8 conversion older hilux engines are rubbish for towing

Hilux or Patrol

Depending on budget look around for a hilux thats had a v6/v8 conversion older hilux engines are rubbish for towing

Which engines in particular are shit? And us it because they don't have the power to tow?

Personally seen a 2.8 and 3.0 diesel hilux's go beyond 700,000 km's only needing the odd clutch, 1x diff+ brake pads etc

Hilux turbo Diesel or surf you find plenty at 6k just get a diesel they tow well and good on fuel petrol suck for towing. just think of it like this why are trucks diesel ( mainly coz of fuel efficiency and torque)

just they are not that quick but you can have everything