Sign in to follow this  
SpotMan

need some advice on engines for towing..

hey guys

i currently have an 18r engine in my rn46 hilux which i'm going to be using as a tow car. its pretty gutless and im wondering if it will be able to even tow my drift car behind it...

soooo.. as i'm under the new p plate laws i cant drive a car with a modded engine or a turboed petrol, so modding my engine is out of the question...

i was wondering if anyone knew what a good engine would be to do a conversion with? im thinking about leaning towards a turbo diesel, but what one???

thanks guys

cant drive a v8 :( thinking maybe 3rz?

hmm..... thinking it may be complex and expensive conversion? need something cheap as im still building my silvia up :\ stupid money pit cars...

Just chuck a cheap 22r in there. The 2.7's tow ok. Not brilliant but will get the job done with minimal outlay

yeah was concidering a 22r, as it will bolt up to my box and the engine mounts just require a little modding. most people say if ur going to get a 22r u may aswell go 3rz.....

i only have the 4 speed box anyways so i wanna upgrade that aswell....

i Guess i could always go down into low range if i really have to....

just worried it may over heat, currently sits on 90oC crawling up the hill with no load, and thats with a new rad and no thermostat, will be getting a oil cooler and an extra thermofan to help aswell,

Edited by SpotMan

next thing i guess is that i will have to get it through regency...

it should be ok, ive had to weld patch in the cab foot wells where rust was tho, but i doubt they will reject it for that?

I towed with a mates rnz model lux to melb twice. Going up hills flat in 3rd and temp doesn't go over 80 so overheating isn't an issue

ahhk, yeah well i have aftermarket temp gauges so its easy to keep on eye on it... might look at getting a 22r just for that little extra power... yeah i sit in 3rd all the way up the hill :P

i Guess i could always go down into low range if i really have to....

LOL WUT?

do you even what low range is? defiently not to be used daily driving because your engine cant handle the hill :lol:

the 22r will be fine. i used to have one in my 4runner. towed a 2.2tonne excavator fine...

Low range is a different gearing ratio isn't it? yeah i know u cant use 4x4 while driving on a road, i work on a farm and we use it all the time lol, just dont lock the front hubs in, RWD low range crawling up the hill lol,

hmm thinking 22r might be the ay to go as it bolts up to current box, my mate does have a spare 2L engine and 5 speed box which both suit a rebuild, would it be worth converting to that the turbo'ing it?

the more question you ask the less time your doing shit. just do it

get the 22r put it in. then drive it and consdering turboing it from there.

i use low range to pull our boat freom the water all the time, but i dont use it on road.

yeah the only thing is coz of the new p plate laws i cant have anything turbo charged unless its diesel... which buggers shit up.

im sure it will pull fine to Mallala as im based in the western suburbs, but i will be practicing the most at Tailem bend as its cheaper :P hence having to go up the car killer hill.....

My mates given me his Blown 2-L motor, might look at rebuilding that and turbo charging it as they did come out turbo.... (2L-t)

Edited by SpotMan

Mate. Just cruise. Leave an hour early and do 30 up the hill it will be fine

hmm.... yeah, i might take it for a test tow one day and see what its like, if it doesnt then engine conversion time if it does f**k it when it blows i'll replace it as i have 2x spare 18r's laying around :P

the 22r RNZ hilux i used for towing did 70 kph in 3rd and sometimes back to 2nd up the hill no worried. faster then matty T's GQ patrol :P

Or. Buy my patrol

Chuck a massive turbo/intercooler on and tow like a baws.

Or buy a 70 series. 5th gear. 4 blokes in the car. Car trailer/car 120kph and easily pull faster

hmmm, i dont wanna let go of my ute tho :( 10 months of rebuilding it from the ground up, pretty much everything on it is brand new, including this low K import 18r thats in it now...

i know i can pick up a rebuild kit for around $700 through my work for a 2-L, im pretty sure it will bolt up to my box atm, probs could pick up a cheap turbo and intercooler, i could fabricate up the manifolds etc, would then have a new engine pretty much, and 2L-T's go alright...

Sell it and buy a diesel. You will be better off in the long run. Or 18rgeu for the novelty of it :P

hmmm still not keen on getting rid of it.... Other thing is my mate is willling to sell me his complete diesel hilux cheap, might just do a complete engine swap when i get some money together.....