Sign in to follow this  
SR S13

DIY Inside vehicle air compressor

Hey guys,

thought i would post up my half finished air compressor set up behind my back seat. the whole thing isnt finshed yet, i still want to run a 18lt tank underneath the back tray or behind the bull bar and have air fittings either side of the car.

i have some pictures to give you some ideas of how you might want to do it;

here are some pictures;

Here is the compressor behind the seat nice and neat.

P1020274.jpg

P1020271.jpg

I found an old bit of timber at home sprayed it black, cut up some coolant hose and used it under the compressor when i screwed it to the wood for a bit of absorbsion. I pinched a Clipsal junction box from my bros van to mount the switch, hide the wiring and hide the relay and of course sprayed black. I then glued rubber underneath the timber also to absorb the viabrations. Last but not least i made a bracket from my seat belt buckle mount to hold the assembly in position.

P1020272.jpg

P1020273.jpg

I have drawn up a wriring diagram (pretty shitty one) just so it gives a rough guide of hoe to wire it, it requires a relay because these compressors normally draw 30amps or more, to find a 30 amp switch is pretty hard so running a 30amp relay with a switch is the go. I have also wired in a fuse in the amp to relay wire for a little protection.

compressorwiringdiagram.jpg

hopefully this is a bit of info for you guys but if you want to see it in person, or have any questions just send a PM

cheers brett

Edited by SR S13

Ive been trying to find the motorvation to do mine, im going to use the space between my draws and the back seat.

I was just goning to run out outlet with a fitting to either side under the front seats, so then i just have to hook the airline up to it for each side.

Then get a ARB style switch on the dash.

Ive been trying to find the motorvation to do mine, im going to use the space between my draws and the back seat.

I was just goning to run out outlet with a fitting to either side under the front seats, so then i just have to hook the airline up to it for each side.

Then get a ARB style switch on the dash.

that sounds awesome, its better to run the fittings inside the car so they dont get clogged with dust,dirt or sand! hows your draw set up in the back? did you make them?

one questions though. are you going to run a tank? if not youll need to get a tyre pressure gauge that continually lets air out, because on most of those compressors there is no pressure bypass, so pressure could build up and damage the piston ring. just something to think about if you havnt already.

Yeah im going to run a tank, with a pressure switch so i can just turn it on and leave it on. Then use a normal tyre inflator.

yeah thats what i want to get around to will be alot better, where do you think youll mount your tank?>

Tank will fit behind the seats with the compressor and my amp. I have some 12v fans to keep some air moving through there. Such a wasted space otherwise.

last 4by i had points at the front and back of the car, but this time i wana keep them in the car.

Tank will fit behind the seats with the compressor and my amp. I have some 12v fans to keep some air moving through there. Such a wasted space otherwise.

its a good idea with the fans, the compressor gets quite hot in opperation so it would help with the cooling a tad, you mean like cpu fan or something?

Yeah ive got a few of them laying around waiting for something to use them on. My compressor is pretty big (150lpm) so it doesnt take long to pump my 35"s up.