Sign in to follow this  
Hobbsie

What oil should I use?

Just bought an 03 350z, going to change engine/gearbox/diff oil.. Anyone have any recommendations for what oil to use?

Edited by Hobbsie

redline MT90 for box and diff, as for motor just use factory reccommended weight, I like motul 8100

For someone that has been here as long as I have, you really haven't figured out how to research, have you

OEM Nissan

Yeah a couple of people have recommended OEM nissan oil for the engine.. I'll give it a crack, never used it before haha

For someone that has been here as long as I have, you really haven't figured out how to research, have you

Well I couldn't find any threads specifically on 350z oil, so I thought I'd contribute to the 350tuned mechanical section by starting one ;)

Edited by Hobbsie

How many km's on the car?

For engine oil I use castrol edge 0w-40 as my 350z only has 30,000 kms.

If you have more k's I would consider a slightly thicker oil. I'm using castrol as the car had a castrol service sticker on it from the Nissan dealership when I bought it, so I figured may as well keep the same brand

Edited by darkone

80,000 kms.

The guys on the z forum in the states all seem to use 5w-30.

Australia has a different climate to USA. I dunno if I would use 5w-30.

5w-30 is recommended for outside temperatures of -30 degrees celcius to 15 degrees. I think you want that second number to be a bit higher for our warmer climate? My understanding is the higher that second number, the thicker the oil will stay at high temperatures. Thicker oil at high temperatures I believe to be more suitable for hot climates.

If anything, 10w-40 probably seems like a pretty well suited grade for Australia.

For manual gearbox oil I think it's 75w-90 with an API GL 4 fluid.

Diff oil needs to be API GL 5 and 80w-90.

Brake fluid I would be using a DOT 4 (don't mix the different grade types though!)

Coolant is pretty subjective. I just use tectaloy 90+.

Power steering fluid, just regular power steering fluid I suppose? Dextron 3 type.

If anything, 10w-40 probably seems like a pretty well suited grade for Australia.

For manual gearbox oil I think it's 75w-90 with an API GL 4 fluid.

Diff oil needs to be API GL 5 and 80w-90.

Yep, I use the same here.

Relevant:

oilsn.jpg

Edited by schift

I have a question about diff oil.. the recommended viscosity for the 350 is 80W-90, but all the LSD diff oil I see is around 80w-140? Do I need specific LSD oil or is any 80w90 API GL-5 oil ok?