Sign in to follow this  
RAGER

Best swb 4x4?

What do we think the best shortie Is and do make it held full to me, let's keep the price under $15 k :)

Pros cons

I have previously owned a petrol GQ

Thoughts and comments welcome :)

for 15k i'd build the baddest Suzuki Sierra, would run rings around a GQ hands down & i've owned a GQ SWB

Probably 90 defender or wrangler but they are a bit over the 15k budget. Under 15k id probably say sierra or gq shortie. Kj cherokees are not too bad either and they are under 15k. My friend has one and it's a pretty capable offroader actually with a lift and bigger tyres.

i guess it really depends on what you want to do with it... the other option is a Jimny

d2ffd89b.jpg

Yeah wouldn't mind a wrangler but they are really thirsty , was thinking of a shorty pajero or possibly a 70 series. How are thoose Jimmy's off road? And up hills?

I'd say get a TJ Wrangler. I own a JK Wrangler but everyone raves about the TJ's. They can go anywhere offroad with some small mods and plenty of parts available

I get anywhere from 10L to 15L per 100kms. Stop start traffic is the worst. Along the highway is pretty good for a 2ton brick. Mine is petrol V6 and also all TJ's came out in petrol and average about what I get.

well thats not too bad then, i thought they were heaps worse, what tyres you running?

But im leaning towards a swb patrol or landcruiser, keen on a turbo diesel, just need to sell my lux first :)

I get anywhere from 10L to 15L per 100kms. Stop start traffic is the worst. Along the highway is pretty good for a 2ton brick. Mine is petrol V6 and also all TJ's came out in petrol and average about what I get.

a mate runs a TJ with only 31's on it & he'd dream of getting that sort of economy, he needs a tanker to follow him around on the open road it's that thirsty.

well thats not too bad then, i thought they were heaps worse, what tyres you running?

But im leaning towards a swb patrol or landcruiser, keen on a turbo diesel, just need to sell my lux first smile.png

A cheap 70 series would be good but like swb gq's they are getting a bit old and I think you'll struggle to find a newer 70 series under 15k.

If it wasnt a daily I'd be really tempted to get a wrangler

Yeh most TJ's I've read about get about 12L-18L per 100km depending on actual driving conditions. I love the Wranglers. If I wanted a more play only car I'd be tempted to get a TJ

Yeah wranglers are nice but too thirsty, the newer ones are 2.8 TD so looking forward to that In the future :). Im just going to try find a nice TD GQ as I need good economy and need to be able to tow a horse float hahaha, damn that horse :@

mq swb!!! love leaf springs lol got a mq shortie with a 308 daily now thats thirsty. good fun though

Yeah like the look of them but they are getting abit old

Wrangler in my books too, it's not going to be great on fuel but they're machines off road and great fun with the roof and doors off. If you're doing rockcrawling you can be more aware of your positioning because it's smaller with short overhangs.

what are the 2.8 td wranglers like? how many kgs can you hold on the racks?

what are they like to tow with?

The 2.8td wranglers are pretty good economy wise but not the best with reliablitiy. What people are finding is that because the US doesnt have the diesel that aftermarket parts are not as developed and there seems to be a lack of available standard parts if you break something (most times has to be shipped from europe) Depends on what type of roof rack you talking about. If something like thule roof racks on the hard top, it would carry about 150kg without any problems but if you want something more you'd need a full system which is about $1,000. I can only vouch for my 2dr (1800kg rated) and it tows alright. I still prefer my old VE sv6 ute I had to tow. Sorry for the long essay :P

Thoughts on 98 grand vitaras??

Is that the V6 one? I have heard that doing the timing chain on the V6 is an absolute mongrel. So if your going to buy one make sure its already been done.

As for SWB everybody will laugh but my last one was a 99 Kia Sportage and for the money (Cheap) it was awesome. Great little fishing rig, my old man even did the Simpson in it. Just get rid of the vacuum front hubs and chuck some Warn manual ones in for a couple of hundred bucks and your done.

post-120643-0-95514100-1348434913_thumb.jpg

the early sportage were solid rear axle & they're a very similar build/design to the Vitara/GV... almost like they based the whole design off the suzuki's.

Thoughts on 98 grand vitaras??

white 98, lifted with snorkel & a heap extra's on Gumtree?

if it is, that's a mates bus, not a bad unit hasn't had much offroad work & has done very little kms since he bought it 3 odd years ago.

yeah the timing chains do have a tendancy to rattle, it's mainly due to poor service history gumming up the oil galleries that pressurise the hydraulic tensioner.... usually a few quick oil channges & oil flushes they can come good.

still 1000 times better than owning a KIA, there is a fair amount of aftermarket support for the 98-06 GV's unlike the KIA.