Sign in to follow this  
S15_Goldy

Ringing turbo and squeaking/chirping wheel..

I have 2 unusual noises coming from my S15.

One is a "ringing" sorta noise coming from the turbo (noise continues for about 15 - 20 seconds after turning off the engine) and one is a "squeak" or "chirp" with every wheel rotation from one rear wheel... This only started when I got new brake pads. I took it back to the guys that installed the pads and they said it was a rock but the noise seems to be getting a bit louder each day. Doesnt matter whether the car is cold, warm or hot for either of the noises.

I have heard that it may be the bearings in the turbo and the rear bushes being dry/worn? Any opinions/suggestions?

Thanks in advance, Sam.

Yeah I have a ball bearing GT28RS (disco potato? Why do they call them that..?) and I've always been able to hear it spinning after turning the engine off, but now it has a very distinct 'ring' to it, like little bells.

Squeak from the wheel stops when I touch the brake and is loudest when doing under 10km/h, like in a car park. The faster I go, the quieter it gets.

Shaft play in turbo? Wheel might be rubbing on the housing.

Edited by Strewth01

Watched a few videos on shaft play, seems to be a similar ring, but nowhere near as clunky or rough sounding.

Anyone got any ideas on the squeaky wheel? I'd upload a recording of it, but this site won't let me.

Any suggestions as to who I could take it to to get looked at?

I don't really want to go back to where I was last, as I am loosing confidence in them. I will not name and shame them, as I cannot confirm what the problems are at this stage, and if they are in any way responsible for them.

Turbo is gone. Started whining really loud this morning. Rebuild or replace my GT28RS?

did you replace the rotors or was it just new pads thrown in, sometimes after market pads without new rotors or a disc machine will squeel

If you can pull the pads out and de-glaze them, so get some course sandpaper and give it a sand also take 1-2mm off the side all the way around on 45 degree angle

if not telly our local mechanic to de-glaze pads