Sign in to follow this  
LMFAO

Best cheap 4x4

So had a hilux-sold it for a 180-sold that and got a civic for the commute to work (can't afford 2 cars) now I kinda want another 4x4! In your opinion what's the best 4x4 for the smallest amount of money? Thinking an older Sierra or swb patrol, basically something ok for the commute (90km a day) and something I can have a laugh in on the weekend-civic is boring. Cheers!

Go either a Sierra or Vitara?

Maybe an older land cruiser?

sierra will have you wanting to neck yourself after a 90km commute... imagine driving something square wheels & no suspension for 90kms & if it's a soft top add in the flapping canvas like a sail flapping in the breeze for extra passenger comfort.

a Vitara is a whole lot more car like than the sierra & has a fair bit more poke. the very last of the Vitara's came out with a 2.0l twin cam 4 cylinder the earlier ones only had a sohc 1.6l 4 banger.

Yeah my mum used to own a 1.6 Vitara, i virtually killed it as i drove it all throughout my Red P's.

Not a bad little 4wd.

sierra will have you wanting to neck yourself after a 90km commute... imagine driving something square wheels & no suspension for 90kms & if it's a soft top add in the flapping canvas like a sail flapping in the breeze for extra passenger comfort.

a Vitara is a whole lot more car like than the sierra & has a fair bit more poke. the very last of the Vitara's came out with a 2.0l twin cam 4 cylinder the earlier ones only had a sohc 1.6l 4 banger.

Not bias or anything gus :lol:

Nah, not at all... just being realistic. A sierra would be the choice if it wasn't going to be used for daily commuting, I could live with one if it was just a off road weapon & run about.

id vote a patrol. i mean, lets see gus do a backflip in his vitara ;)

A Vitara would be ideal if you're not getting into anything too hardcore, no way I would have driven my Sierra any more than about 5km daily :wacko:

A Vitara would be ideal if you're not getting into anything too hardcore :wacko:

wash your mouth out with soap, my vitara will follow & out wheel most.... but it is very far from standard.

How far from standard and what sort of terrain? Difficult/hardcore here means rockcrawling, panel damage is almost guaranteed, twin lockers are a must. I used to wheel with a moderately modded Vitara (locked, lifted on 31s or 32s) and he couldn't tackle anything that I couldn't unlocked, up against my locked Patrol on 35s he had no chance (broken CVs, lack of clearance, lack of tyre size, lack of articulation). He ended up getting a Unimog for the tough stuff and kept his Vitara for mild to moderate runs.

about as far from standard as you can get... F&R air lockers, 5.12 diff ratio's, lifted, 31's, full under body bash plates & it will wheel any terrain, including rocks.

100_0633.jpg

i'm guessing your mate was Gonzo?

Nah, different Unimog owner. It's hard to compare what different people call track difficulties, and photos never show it. Hardcore around here is what you find in a comp, no IFS car or anything less than 35s is getting through. Picture tracks more along these lines

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rh3WaSlO5dQ

When I had a Sierra with twin lockers, reduction gears, 31s and lift I thought I could tackle anything, then you realise there's even harder track out there with step ups higher than your bonnet, logs larger than your sills, and 31s aren't enough to get up big ledges and gaps.

comppics066.jpg

comppics-20.jpg

DSC_37520235.jpg

CompPrep226-27.jpg

DSC_0736.jpg

yeah i've seen tuff truck, it's a different story when rego isn't necessary... still a zook on 31's will show up a shit load of modified 4wds day in day out with a decent driver.

the dude is looking for a daily/weekend 4wd not a comp truck. :thumbsup:

I know, it comes back to what I was saying "not too hardcore". You can have something that's a lot of fun, but if you want it to be comfortable driving 90km per day then you've got to be realistic about how modified it's going to be and what it'll be able to do.

thats exactly it, mine doesn't shine in one area but will perform well enough on all terrains including being a nice daily driver, i can tell you it's surprised a shit load of people as to where it's been & how easy it does it.

meh ill plug a vote for daihatsu rocky because I have one and they are probably the cheapest tough turbo diesel you can buy. They are not particularly fast nor have much aftermarket support but mine is excellent for daily commutes and can handle 110kmh no probs with room to overtake. I am pretty used to driving vehicles built with little regard for passenger comfort though :P

20120104190333.jpg

Yeah my brother had a feroza and it was an amazing little thing offroad, pulled out his mates 80 series on numerous occasions! But like you said massive lack of aftermarket parts available, and genuine is impossible as daihatsu are now gone, what about the 2.8 straight diesel solid front hiluxes? I had one but got offered good money for it so sold it lol, then I got a 2,7 petrol hilux which was shit offroad, the diesel was great off road only had a 2" lift and 31" tyres, how do these hold up against rust? Also the swb patrols? They are coil solid axle so should be a bit more comfy right? Budget is basically whatever I could sell or swap my civic for so around the 5g mark... If I'm lucky :P

My mate has a lifted leafer off hilux which runs 33s twin air lockers etc. Thing is virtually unstoppable off road. He has had it for years and not much has gone wrong with it. It is slow as f**k though. I couldn't deal with that lack of power.

My mate has a lifted leafer off hilux which runs 33s twin air lockers etc. Thing is virtually unstoppable off road. He has had it for years and not much has gone wrong with it. It is slow as f**k though. I couldn't deal with that lack of power.

What do you drive? I've had the civic for about 2 months now and over it lol, my cars don't really last very long till I get sick of them and sell them on lol, had 5 cars since this time last year! So what about the petrol swb patrol? They as terrible on petrol as I would imagine?

Of course, sorry total lack of memory lol

dont buy anything with leaf springs all round.... mine has that and stiff shocks.... have to slow right down for speed bumps unless i wanna hit the roof...

dont buy anything with leaf springs all round.... mine has that and stiff shocks.... have to slow right down for speed bumps unless i wanna hit the roof...

yes I know this all too well lol.

yeah drove my bro rolla around for a few weeks got to used to it then hoped back in mine this morning....

went around a roundabout to fast and just clipped it with my wheels... big mistake.