Sign in to follow this  
Element Unknown

Hef's Training Log

I think I have hit a wall with my squats for now.

Been doing a 5x5 bill starr intermediate style program for the last 9 or so weeks, and although I am lifting a lot more that I used to, I cant get past a 150 for 2 reps (when I'm fresh)

So I'm wondering if something like the Russian Squat program would be ideal for lifting my numbers?

BTW my form is pretty good.

Another alternative is to go

Monday: 3x10

Wednesday: 5x5

Friday x20 single set. x10 single set.

Push hard and you will see results.

PPP for me, never squatted in my life, went from 0kg to 1x175kg in 12 weeks.

Program is hard but works well..

just go to the PTC website and give Markos a call or text. he will sort you out

Pretty sure there was an iphone app for it?

Don't think they ever made an android version though

do a pump class

+1

Even though you might not be aiming for endurance training, it will correct your technique.

You kidding about the pump class?

150 for 2 reps is good but you shouldn't hit the wall there unless your diet of program is not good. Switch up your program, increase calorie intake (dependant on goals). Take a week off from squatting, can sometimes work.

Can't really help unless you post up diet and/or program.

At the time i found not doing them for 3-4 days and eating enough to put on 2ish kg's make a MASSIVE improvement in form and confidence

How sure are you that your form is good?

Was seeing a lift coach in Perth before I relocated, taught me to program my form, and I have been recently checked by another pt who does lift here in Vic, all is good. I shouldn't say its allways the best and can always improve, but I have been told recently that it is good, and where to watch out etc...

Edited by HumanHefner

150 for 2 reps is good but you shouldn't hit the wall there unless your diet of program is not good. Switch up your program, increase calorie intake (dependant on goals). Take a week off from squatting, can sometimes work.

Can't really help unless you post up diet and/or program.

I did mention that I was following a Bill Starr 5x5 routine, but I will post more details when I'm not half asleep on my phone.

However I have deloaded in the last week, going for runs, taking it easy, doing more accessory work, see if that makes a big diff for now until I have settled on something that works for me.

Diet?

Not an issue, get all the appropriate nutrition, don't eat garbage, always have more than enough fuel for pre and post workouts. This is not the problem.

Edited by HumanHefner

Shocking the muscle and working them a different way is the key to training. Pump will work your legs like nothing else.

Shocking the muscle and working them a different way is the key to training. Pump will work your legs like nothing else.

If you have a vagina, then yes.

High vagina ratio = not necesarrily a bad thing :naughty:

One thing that I found helped abit in boosting my back squat was doing front squats. Helps heaps with drive out of the bottom of the rep.

High vagina ratio = not necesarrily a bad thing :naughty:

Lol exactly, good motivation for those days when you can't be stuffed going.

I do pump religiously twice a week as a full body work out and nothing else has increased my strength and endurance as much. Say you're doing squats with 120kg and you can get to 20, but you don't have it in you to do another full squat, but you could have done half a squat until full exhaustion. Squatting with 45kgs in pump lets you get closer to your limit where you would do about 100 reps, and you're totally screwed where you can barely walk. (I still do regular squats once a week).

Guys who can squat more than me (in the racks) have a real hard time making it through a pump class.

Edited by steveP

Actually I was joking but maybe there was some truth to it. I try to do a pump class once a week. I started because I wanted to learn to do leg workouts in a low weight setting but seeing how badly everyone put me to shame I decided to keep it up.

I can't squat much (not that I try very hard) but I started squatting in the gym once I learned the technique in pump and I found that it really helped my endurance with pump, so I guess it could work both ways, Steve might be right.

Edited by Spazo

who cares whether its good for you or not.....it's a godamn pump class ha ha :)

I would be interested to see the form of people who.learned in a pump class, the one i did everyone had pathetic form.ans would be lucky to do half a squat. Might just be the one i went to though.

No, you're right. 60% of the class has shocking form for most techniques. That's because 60% of the classes are chicks who go for the sake of telling people they work out. They have no interest in making gains. It's more a social thing, like the girly men in sideways caps and chains while working out.

I know it's not for everyone, but I've never felt stronger or have better technique since doing pump regularly.

Edited by steveP

lol

I wanna ask - if your feet have big arches, as in your ankles roll in slightly, should you stand with your legs further apart (so that your feet are flat)?

I get this weird pain on the inside of my knee unless I do it, feels pretty dodgy, dodgy as in knee f**kage if I were to lift heavy.

Edited by Spazo

lol

I wanna ask - if your feet have big arches, as in your ankles roll in slightly, should you stand with your legs further apart (so that your feet are flat)?

I get this weird pain on the inside of my knee unless I do it, feels pretty dodgy, dodgy as in knee f**kage if I were to lift heavy.

When u squat.

You want your feet parallel to your knee. I had

To changer squatting technique after my knee surgery. Know I squat with my feet pointing out inatead of parallel. U may feel better with knee wraps. I squat heavier when I have those.

With ur feet. You want to to drive off your heels. Not ur toes.

I put and small plate under my heels for this, I find it helps.

Hope it helps

Edited by Rasian

Yes, that's true too, turning my feet out helps.

My legs aren't perfectly straight, they bow in slightly so I do have to move my feet farther out to acheive parallel knee-foot stance.

Thank you my asian fliend.

Yeah I do spend a lot of energy in making sure my foot position is right befor my lifts, I kinda have this ocd thing going on with it.

I did find that if I didn't position my feet slightly pointing outwards at shoulder width, (like too close and straight ahead) my knees would be more inclined to point inwards during a squat, also would cause knee pain.

I have almost flat feet btw...