Sign in to follow this  
KillerBunnys122

CA18DE automatic starter motor grinding! What can I replace it with?

So every now and then when I turn the key instead of starting, my car just makes a loud grinding squealing sound, but if I give it another go it normally starts up fine. Sometimes it doesn't grind though many turns of the key!

I'm thinking my starter motor isn't throwing out properly every time and since I'm a tight ass I'm looking for cheaper simple ways to fix it/replace it. Would anyone know if a starter motor from an R31 automatic Pintara (CA20E) would fit/work? I was thinking about grabbing one of them, maybe cleaning it then hoping it's in better condition.

Oh and I guess I may aswell ask if anyone knows how much a new one would cost? Thanks :thumbsup:

Edited by KillerBunnys122

Just pull yours out and give it a good clean first, they can build up with a load of shit in them and all they need is a good clean.

Just pull yours out and give it a good clean first, they can build up with a load of shit in them and all they need is a good clean.

Yeah I was thinking about doing that but I don't really want to risk somehow stuffing it up and then not being able to start it at all.

you can't f**k it from pulling it out....its like 2 bolts and a couple wires....if ur not confident just take a photo before you start and remember to disconnect battery before touching it

you can't f**k it from pulling it out....its like 2 bolts and a couple wires....if ur not confident just take a photo before you start and remember to disconnect battery before touching it

I was talking more about f**king it up trying to clean it. Of course I'm not going to brake it taking it out or putting it in. haha

sounds more like munted teeth on the flexplate.

It could be but wouldn't that mean holding the key on would eventually hook and start it? I tried that for a bit once, Didn't work... Let go of the key, gave it another crack and bam it starts no problem.

I guess the best way to find out is to take out the starter motor and have a look if the drive plate is munched. Or just go ahead and do a manual conversion haha

Either way, you can use both auto and manual starter motors, I have interchanged them a number of times...