Sign in to follow this  
2tonne

common problems sr20

hey this has probly been made plenty off times but couldnt find it.

i am currently looking to buy an s13 sr20det and was wondering what the common problems would be for motor and box etc.

any information would be much appreciated

hrmmm as for leaks, front and rear main seals leak, but that will be with age on any car, rocker arms can tend to fall off if you keep bouncing off the limiter with them, or they will break. check for vacuum leaks on the engine. Fuel pumps tend to die, once again, more so with older age, power window motors and buttons arn't the best, ive had to replace them on many S13's.

Motor wise they are pretty good actually, the boxes are pretty sturdy also, especially the 5 speeds. its mainly checking for oil leaks or split vacuum hoses and general wear and tear, thats in my experiences with my cars anyway.

Cracks in the front strut towers due to stiff suspension. Can't count how many I've seen

Edited by -fill-

Timing case cover leaks where the cylinder head is bolted onto it

Nearly all sr20's leak at that spot

wheel hubs go bad, especially if people are running huge/wide/low offset wheels or clipping gutters.

window actuators get worn out if you close the door while its lowering/raising (throws the cable off the wheel)

rocker cover leaks (cheap and easy to fix)

coil packs burn out from overheating

radiator bottle cracks

central locking unit can get dirty/wear out (depends on model)

ive had a few of these problems, mates have had a few of the others.

the youngest S13s youll buy (type X) are 16 years old, its going to have SOMETHING wrong, depending on how hard its been driven.

Timing case cover leaks where the cylinder head is bolted onto it

Nearly all sr20's leak at that spot

and sometimes you can damage the head gasket when attempting to take off the timing case cover, because its baked on pretty good over the years, that may or may not need you to replace the head gasket.

but it is not really a major issue, mine had been leaking on my blacktop since the day i bought the car, 5 years later, over double the power and well, the leak has not gotten any worse.... usually its just best to leave it.

cheers for feedback, i actually ended up getting a ca18det. main problem isthat the RPM seems to be about1.5-2k out, its ok on idle thoe so might take it into a shop to get looked at. has anyone ever came across the same problem? pretty sure previous owner has taken off the dash.

The latest model of the car has some issues in it regarding its features and they are discussed here. Although, it is useful to said locus assignment that is there to promote a better understanding of this.