Sign in to follow this  
s15_is_sx

Ubuntu Mobile

The phone preview starts around 6:30. The UI looks really nice, will work on I think all (or perhaps most) android phones.

Can't wait till this comes out, I hope I can install this on the N9.

saw this on xda yesterday, really keen to throw it on my old gs2 and try it once it comes out. might even end up on the gs3

I've been having a few discussions on FB about this. Whilst another phone OS is cool and all, what the f**k is happening to Ubuntu for Android? This post seems to sum up my feelings entirely (the accompanying article was absolutely shithouse yesterday btw, but they appear to have edited it substantially overnight to at least make it make sense, and deleted the comments that called them out): http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=29537&commentid=829682&threshhold=1&red=4442#comments

i've got to say that this approach from the fuhrer (mark shuttleworth) is confusing.

you've got ubuntu on android - first mentioned this time last year - a product that a LOT of geeks are interested in.

instead of executing the release of this potentially game changing solution they have kludged a new smartphone OS.

in doing so any hardware manufacturer/carrier that was even vaguley interested in ubuntu on android will now back away - the appearances (despite protestations to the contrary) are that canonical are backing away from the ubuntu on android concept.

further more by changing their strategy so capriciously they will have discouraged anyone else from adopting ubuntu on phones - who is to say they won't ditch this concept next year,

the solution - (apart from locking shuttleworth in a room and not letting him drag ubuntu down the toilet) - they have to merge the two products.

to do so they need to:

include a dalvik virtual machine in the 'ubuntu on phones' concept - thus you would get access to the entire android app ecosystem

partner up with asus (or anyone else) and get a version of this software running on hardware like the padfone.

what would be really amazing would be if they could get this into an x86 phone that can dock into a tablet that can dock into a keyboard.

i would quite happily ditch my current phone/tablet/light weight laptop for one device (i already run linux mint as my main OS so that isnt an issue for me)

I think we would be better off running a Linux OS and then having an Android application layer. I am pretty sure Sailfish is taking that route and I would imagine it would have to happen at some stage with an Ubuntu OS. That way your main applications and OS are running directly on the hardware and Android applications can be run through a Java (like) runtime environment. I am just guessing, but Ubuntu for Android would probably be much harder to maintain and keep up to date. If Google decides to change the Kernel (especially since they develop in a closed environoment) then it may take a while for Ubuntu for Android to be updated, not to mention it would have to be maintained possibly for different versions of Android.

I think people get a little overly excited about the numbers of apps. Most are absolute rubbish. I am just hoping I can choose whatever hardware I like, and then install the OS of my choice on, much the way I do with the PC.

To be honest, I don't care which way it comes. If it's Ubuntu for Android, or Ubuntu for UbuntuPhone, then either is fine with me. What I want is the functionality that Ubuntu for Android was touting: Your phone is a phone until you plug it into a dock, then it's a PC.