Sign in to follow this  
Spazo

Ripping DVDs (yeah yeah)

Excuse the ignorance, I hardly use computers anymore and I just want to know what software to download so that I can rip a bunch of DVD's to save on my hdd.

Back in the day a friend was using dvd shrink... it seemed to mess up the chapters at times, never attempted it myself but I'm sure there's a standard now.

Thanks!

Xx

DVD Shrink used to be the latest and greatest Freeware around, I never had any dramas at all with it hey. A mate at work uses DVD Decrypter

If you want to convert them into watchable files (.avi, .mp4 etc) you'll quite often need a second program. Handbrake and SUPER are 2 of my recommendations.

Don't know if anyone else has any better suggestions?

I use a program called Xilisoft DVD ripper . It's alright.

Thanks

The Xilisoft one looks ideal but I was hoping for a free one.

:P

Might hunt down dvd shrink then.

If they're movie DVD's it's quite often quicker and easier to download the video file straight off a torrent site or something. Otherwise you've got time to rip, time to encode, time to review encode, time to adjust encode, time to re-encode... You get the idea :P

Handbrake isn't really a DVD ripper, its a video converter. Any that it might do are very limited, it falls over when it comes to region encryption

DVD shrink will rip the dvd into multiple VOB files which is fine if you want to burn it back onto a blank DVD using another program or store them for later. But if you want to watch the ripped DVD o your computer then you will have to watch it in parts as the files a re separate video files, if that makes any sense.

I use DVD Shrink to rip and X2X DVD Video burner to burn back onto a blank DVD.

VSO DivXToDVD is good for converting .avi or .mp4 files to DVD format.

I'm just imagining kids these days, especially over the next few years... "dad, What's a DVD? "

Here you go Spazo.

http://letitbit.net/...ch-Lz0.rar.html

Not hard to use. Rips and encodes to almost any format at the click of a button.

Thanks... although the file isn't found. D/led a torrent but the file is only about 9meg, seems a tad sketchy. Will unzip it next weekend when I'm back at a PC!

Spaz,

If you own the DVDs why not download them as you are making a back up anyway. Ripping DVDs is a timeconsuming job. Downloading would be simpler and potentially smaller file size for equal or greater quality.

I'm actually ripping my drumming DVD collection, all very hard to find online.

I'm actually ripping my drumming DVD collection, all very hard to find online.