Sign in to follow this  
earlyreflections

Advice for new laptop purchase

hey guys,

these days I'm not using my main desktop pc much anymore besides research / browsing / watching shows/movies and basic music recording, not looking to spend too much (around 1k max), just want something fairly slim / compact and preferably with an SSD.

I was thinking of either getting a 2nd hand macbook pro with an SSD or the below "windows" laptops;

http://www.officeworks.com.au/retail/products/Technology/Computers/Laptops/Performance-Laptops/SYS400CA

http://www.officeworks.com.au/retail/products/Technology/Computers/Laptops/Everyday-Laptops/SYNP530U3C

are these windows laptops actually equipped with an SSD or is it just an express cache on the HDD?

cheers!

I can give you a bit of an idea to what you may want with making some car analogies: i3= 4 cylinder, i5= 6 cylinder, i7= 8 cylinder. With some programs its like trying to tow your track car with a mini, possible but wont last long or do it well. Where as a bigger motor with more torque will do it with ease. So i3 for general word documents and email, some web surfing, i7 for serious gaming (COD, WOW or whatever) video editing ect.

RAM is the part of the computer being able to multitask, the more memory here will help things be a bit more efficient.

The video card can make all the difference depending on what you are doing. So if you are gaming more than basic FB/ Flash games, having an independent graphics card will be better.

The internal graphics card have much less memory, its like watching video off the net with slow download speed you have to let it buffer, the more memory the smother the video. Photo/video/games can really use an video card of 1gb and greater, less work the motherboard/cpu etc.

Ultrabooks are great for mobility and speedy start up, thats why they use ssd hard drives (less moving parts) and they have great battery life from 4-6 hours.

Most systems only have a 60day trial of office and internet security. So when you buy see if you can get a package where you can get it cheap or thrown in. They dont do extended warranty anymore but most places have something equivalent. It is not a bad idea as things at least last for 12 months which is how long a manufactures warranty normally is.

There are leasing agencies that will allow you to pay by the month over a select period, you pay more in the long run but the service that they provide may be good for curtain people, such as if computer is lost, stolen or damaged, they will replace it.

So shop around at the big retailer stores and ask for what deals are on.

Also,be careful of cheap online stores, some get their stock from overseas and the manufacture will not cover warranty issues. And unknown brands are risky, most are crap compared wo well know brands,

hope this helps

Music production doesnt really need much more than an i5 as there isnt a lot of processing going on in parallel. Depends what kind of software you're using and the type of music you're doing.

what are you using currently in terms of hardware and software?

if you werent doing music stuff you can do the rest of that shit with a tablet computer in a much smaller form factor.

Music production doesnt really need much more than an i5 as there isnt a lot of processing going on in parallel. Depends what kind of software you're using and the type of music you're doing.

what are you using currently in terms of hardware and software?

if you werent doing music stuff you can do the rest of that shit with a tablet computer in a much smaller form factor.

I'm using mainly Ableton live and Reason for music production and Photoshop CS6 for some photography stuff

what system are you currently working on? mac or windows?

probably stick with windows then unless you want to get all new software too.

The i3 i5 and i7 badges are misleading. Despite being a 'high performance' CPU, many laptop i7's are only dual core.

If you don't do much more than surf the web then an Asus Zenbook with a core i3 should do the trick. But if you need serious processing power, you can't just assume that an i7 is gonna do it. You need to look for a quad core i7. It is rare to find a quad core i7 in any small laptop due to battery limitations.

Also don't get Wondows 8 unless you have to. It has stability issues with older software.

Edited by Chappy

The i3 i5 and i7 badges are misleading. Despite being a 'high performance' CPU, many laptop i7's are only dual core.

If you don't do much more than surf the web then an Asus Zenbook with a core i3 should do the trick. But if you need serious processing power, you can't just assume that an i7 is gonna do it. You need to look for a quad core i7. It is rare to find a quad core i7 in any small laptop due to battery limitations.

Also don't get Wondows 8 unless you have to. It has stability issues with older software.

^ Correct Chappy, it's actually quite difficult finding a decent laptop and I believe a lot of these so called "SSDs" are just quick cached portioned HDDs and not true SSD's.

As discussed above I'll be using it mainly for browsing/emails and basic music recording (not full on production just recording ideas/sessions), I might look into a one/two year old macbook pro with an actual SSD as performance wise these are quite good and have used them for music recording in the past.

Not too keen on Windows 8 at the moment either Chappy...

^ Correct Chappy, it's actually quite difficult finding a decent laptop and I believe a lot of these so called "SSDs" are just quick cached portioned HDDs and not true SSD's.

As discussed above I'll be using it mainly for browsing/emails and basic music recording (not full on production just recording ideas/sessions), I might look into a one/two year old macbook pro with an actual SSD as performance wise these are quite good and have used them for music recording in the past.

Not too keen on Windows 8 at the moment either Chappy...

Asus Zenbooks come with SSD's, and you know they are true ones because there is no room in there for a platter drive :lol:

Your budget is $1,000 which should be more than enough for a brand new Zenbook with a Core i5 (the i3 is around $700).