Sign in to follow this  
hungrytoheal

180SX/SR20DET Fuel/ECU Issue?

Hi guys,

Running an SR20DET in a 1995 180SX.

I've had the car for quite a while now and I'm pretty certain it has a fuel issue.

Firstly, it's as if the car gradually loses a bit of power after around 15 minutes of driving. It doesn't go awfully slow, but it definately feels sluggish, and I don't feel as much "boost" as I normally would. It's kind of like driving up hill.

Secondly, if I have the car running idle for 5 minutes or so, when I begin to drive off the car will get to around 2K RPM then completely start dieing in the arse as if it's running out of fuel or getting too much fuel. I then have to short shift up to about 4th or 5th gear before I can get a higher rev range.

Not too sure what I can do to fix the problem.. I've checked for fuel leaks, cleaned the AFM, changed the spark plugs for shits and giggles (haven't checked the leads for resistance yet) etc. I was going to buy an ECU tool from ECUTalk a few months ago, but can't for the life of me find the input plug.

So there you have it, I'm in need of some professional help! ;)

Cheers lads

Sounds like a lazy pump. Cheap insurance to just put a walbro 255lph in.

I considered the fuel pump, but don't wanna jump into the expensive stuff first.

:wtf:

dont get a walbro "style" pump when you can get a genuine one for only 100, not worth the risk

Alright guys may as well invest in a new one.

On that note, where abouts in the boot is the fuel pump cover? The clown who owned the car before me put sound dampener over every square inch so I can't see it.

Can you smell fuel after a drive?

Mine did some similar things to what you describe - turns out the fuel hose from the pump carrier to the first hard line had burst.

How many Km's? & does it have any smoke out the exhaust? does it have a pod filter or air box? factory turbo?

In the mean time if you want to try some stuff, replace the fuel filter & run injector cleaner.

Edited by PRYMORTAL

Not one to comment normally but your issue seems to be pretty much exactly what I have experienced. After driving for any period of time and coming back to idle the car would absolutely refuse to rev over 3krpm, would stall, splutter and choke. After taking it to a reputable tuner in Brisbane who assured me he would find the issue and solve it or no charge the only thing he was able to come up with was that the injectors were cutting out with no explanation. After countless electrical checks and even sent stock ecu away for test the only solution he was able to offer was to get a new ecu.

strangely I ended up getting a new Fuel pump (walbro) and always let the car warm up for at least 5 minutes(previously I did not as car is bog stock and thought it didn't need it) before driving and have not experienced this event since (12 months) regardless of any circumstance. if anything I would replace your pump and always warm up the car before driving as its something that has no detrimental outcome that I could see. I hope any of this info can help you even if it is long winded and clueless.

I'm getting this as well - gradual loss of power during extended drives I mean, not the 3k rpm issue though

If anyone knows anything about this please let me know.

I am getting stock airbox, fmic, fuel pump, injectors, boost controller and tune soon-ish, so might find out when I take it to the experts :/

I'm newb as shit but it feels as if it's heat related, bc (a) it happens MUCH less on colder/rainy days and (b ) I also had issues with my cooling system. I'm running an exposed shitty/dirty pod (yuck) and standard side mount intercooler. What I don't know is whether it's just the stock intercooler shitting itself or some run-on effect like a shit tune, or other crap I have no knowledge of.

(I *still* haven't had time to totally go over the cooling system as ive been too busy -_- apologies to everyone who helped me out in my thread! I'll get off my arse and do it soon..!).

Still need to do some of the standard long service stuff - injectors, spark plugs, injectors, change filters, check fualt codes.. Pretty suire the alternator is fine, was checked with multimeter. Don't know how to check fuel pump but getting walbro anyway.

Edited by Skepticism