Sign in to follow this  
Slippery Gypsy

Need help picking an Ultrabook..

So I'm looking at getting an Ultrabook to be able to edit photos and Gopro footage on the road; This isn't all I will use it for.. General browsing, No gaming at all, Watching movies and listening to music...

It must be I7, 13 inch screen, Light weight (ish), 256gb SSD, Minimum 4gb of memory, Doesn't need a Optical drive because who honestly uses DVD/CD these days? All my stuff is run on Memory cards, So if it can take memory cards that would be sweet too.

Ideally I NEED it to have a long life battery; Of around 6-7 hours. This will be used during travels so watching Movies and listening to music will be the primary use whilst on planes etc.

So far, I've come across the Dell XPS 13, Macbook Air, Macbook Pro, And the Asus Zen Series.

Can anyone recommend me one of these? I love Windows; But ease of use on the road pushes me towards to Apple. But Apple's prices for what I want from the above in both Macbook Pro and Macbook Air make it hard for me to splash the cash; When you can get the same specs in a XPS or Asus for over half the price.

Kgo!

Which model have you use Bangaladesh?

The XPS 13?

What i'd like to know, How long does it take for your ultrabook to boot up (is it ssd?)

Xps13, can't really fault them. Start up is quick, around 10-15 seconds. Probably only downside is they are a little more expensive than the acer etc.

And yes ssd.

Edited by Bangaladesh

Still.. XPS13 is about 400 dollars minimum cheaper than the same specced Macbook's..

How many hours battery you get off the one charge?

Yeah I'm not really a apple fan so I didn't really look into them. So I can't comment on their capability or value.

But yeah get around 7-8 hours out of a charge with Xps13 depending on what you're doing. Booting up a few times in a charge really drains it.

Yeah I'm not really a apple fan so I didn't really look into them. So I can't comment on their capability or value.

But yeah get around 7-8 hours out of a charge with Xps13 depending on what you're doing. Booting up a few times in a charge really drains it.

This is what I like to hear; Good info on ppl have used the XPS13.

All I need now is someone who works/uses a Macbook religiously.

I got an xps13 through work and have had it for some time. I run linux on it though so it probably wouldn't be useful information if you will be running windows. Mine boots in 6-12s. I probably get up to 6 hours battery life. Some reviews complain it is noisy, I mostly find it silent although, I think it used to fire up when really pushing it the fan starts up and it makes a bit of noise (it also might be more of a problem on the i7, mine is an i5 so that might be worth looking up). This hasn't happened for a while so I am wondering whether an upgrade fixed that issue. The other cristism I have heard in reviews is some people comented on the screen resolution not being high enough. It seems fine to me, but I am probably not that demanding in that area. The keyboard is very good, I am typing on that now. It is also nice how they squashed the 11.3 inch screen into the 11.1 inch body. I find the build quality quite impressive.

-Dell will always be on my list as their builds are cheap but carry the goods. They carry all the same gear of the bullshit macbooks but at a fraction of the price. AND its Windows. I had an old XPS 1330 and it wasnt too bad at all.

-Apple is apple. Easy to use. Battery life is INSANE! Its really the only thing that grabs my attention.

To hear that the Dell has better battery than the Macbooks, Its keeping me interested.

Im currently looking at the Samsung range and Asus range; But the builds don't seem to be as tough as the Macbook/XPS.

very very cool and 15 inch, small bezel but pricey

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtfFp_ETfnM

next pc would def buy but waiting for haswell

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/SAMSUNG-SERIES-9-13-3-Intel-Core-I7-2617M-256GB-SSD-8G-RAM-Ultrabook-Laptop-/310570352736?pt=AU_comp_laptop&hash=item484f6f8060

You have me interested now. 13 inch being the better pick as its much smaller

Yeah stylish would love one, if ur going for 13 inch you might be interested in the new windows tablets (eg windows surface pro) don't really know if they are good tho they have a screen about 10.1 inch

http://www.microsoft...dows-8-pro/home

You could always wait for haswell intell processors they should be coming out in the second quarter of this year and feature much better battery life (good for portiable latptops and etc)

and better intergrated performance which is a must for ultra books as they don't have discrete graphics

edit - Asus are shit man I would steer clear of them

Edited by cm712

I have always known of Asus to be a bit... Meh.. Hence I have gone samsung vs asus and samsung won. I have always lole Samsungs build quality.

So its come down to Macbook vs xps 13 vs samsung series 9.

Would still love to hear from some Mac users about battery and boot.

I find macbooks and apple stuff in general manages to meet the battery life estimates a lot better than other manufacturers.

you can always buy a low spec macbook and dump a better SSD into it - OWC makes cheaper drives that are faster too I think, direct replacement for the Air SSDs.

i dont think the retina MBP is worth it at this point in time unless you can really see yourself using the extra clarity. a lot of applications still dont fully support it.

The main problem with the apple stuff is the build quality. It would be OK if they were cheap, but price wise they are a premium product. My wife has had trouble with her previous iphone (screen issues she repaired), her current iphone (the main controller button broke), her old macbook, powercable started breaking apart, plastic discolored and case cracked. Only her Macbook pro is running solid although that is not that old. The old macbooks used to have cooling problems as well. I am not sure if they still do, but I remember one of the guys at work complaining it couldn't run 64bit operating systems on them. That said they tend to look solid and are in typically in the better looking end of the market.

OS X has been x64 for a while.

the plastic-books were pretty dodgy in that regard, and there was heating issues (which were covered under a class action lawsuit) in older models.

they dont make the plastic ones anymore, that spot in their lineup is now the Air, which is aluminum unibody.

the issue with your girls phone button is also a common one on the 4/4S. they will swap the phone for a replacement without question unless its obviously been abused.

Build quality is something that apple products definitely dont skimp on, but you are paying for it.

played with both the air/pro today AND the new samsung series 9.

series 9 is the go if i want windows.

im leaning more towards the macbook pro i7 as the air is too flimsy and small... the pro has weight in it. im big and me and small things do go well (ask my exs) haham so the weight and build in the pro is probably a good combo unless the i7 air comes in cheaper.

so far:

samsung n9 i7, 256gb ssd and 8gb is 1550

macbook air i7, 256gb ssd and 4gb is 1630

macbook pro i7, 500gb sata and 8gb is 1580

decisions decisions.. comes down to mac vs windows.

toshiba? or are they shit?

Toshiba are probably the best windows based laptops. the only thing better is a macbook pro with windows installed.

mostly speaking in terms of build quality and reliability.

Unless you're pirating windows that's hardly cost effective though.

Hey, it surprises me too, but some people do it :P

I nearly took the bait on the win 8 upgrade licenses only being $40 or whatever they were, but I use win7/8 once in a blue moon so felt like saving the cash instead.

One Ultrabook that has caught my eye recently is the Asus Taichi 31. It has a standard laptop screen on the inside and another touchscreen on the outside.

It can be used like a tablet with the lid closed and like a laptop when open.

The interesting bit is it can use both screens simultaneously. Put a mirror behind your laptop and reverse the screen then bam, dual screen laptop.

Edited by Chappy