Sign in to follow this  
AnDyStYLe

When is it time to sell up cos you're too old?

Ok, at what age are you too old to be owning and driving a Silvia chassis car?

I feel a bit old driving mine and due to changes in life circumstances I'm now needing to buy a more practical car. We got a Mk5 GTI as a daily but needing another car (new with warranty etc). I've been persuaded to go a family sedan now, something like the new VW Jetta. No more Jap toys. I've been really keen on the Golf R's but it's a bit over my budget. The money from selling the 180 would be good as a top up too.

I'm 30 now, maybe a bit old school for most of the younger blokes on these forums now, but worth an ask nonetheless...

I've been looking at selling up the 180 for a couple of years now but never had the heart to let it go. Kept playing with it and even to this day got a bunch of parts in the spare room and brand new rear set of upsized TE's waiting to be fitted, always thinking to keep it "forever" as a toy car and playing with it whenever I can.

But it keeps coming back to being too old for it?

What are your thoughts?

Cheers,

Andy

i'm 33, have just finished building the engine/sorting out running gear in mine, got new coilovers to go in it etc, my wife loves how the car makes me happy, also my 3 year old daughter loves it too. I nearly sold the car a couple of years ago, but decided I would only want the same thing again (maybe not s chassis, but would sink $$$ into something) so figured after spending close to 40k on this one, that i'm better off keeping it, even if it sits in the shed unregistered (doesn't yet)

Car modding is in your blood, and it's cheaper to maintain something you have already spent thousands on than it is to sell it, then a year later want something like it again.

My attitude towards driving has changed, but not my attitude towards my car, I still love the kick from the turbo and the rough ride, i love looking over my shoulder through the cage, I love all the noises from the high mount turbo (and the underbonnet looks pretty lol) but I'm not interested in doing burnouts everywhere or drifting around every corner, I would prefer to do that on the track, I feel that is as close to "growing up" as i will get

I was watching Hot seat with Eddie on TV the other night.

Some 60 something year old bloke from QLD/NSW was talking about owning a Nissan Skyline R32 GTR GODZILLAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Lol was funny, he was talking about racing it on the track and how fuel would cost him $20,000 a weekend. (Most likely being sarcastic but still funny)

Had a good laugh. Good on him I say!

age is all in your mind dude. i'm 29 and still love it.

how does buying a new car and selling an old one equal a money top up? and a vw is so f**king gay and will kill you once it starts falling apart after the warranty ends.

surely you aren't still paying off the 180?

i'm 33, have just finished building the engine/sorting out running gear in mine, got new coilovers to go in it etc, my wife loves how the car makes me happy, also my 3 year old daughter loves it too. I nearly sold the car a couple of years ago, but decided I would only want the same thing again (maybe not s chassis, but would sink $$$ into something) so figured after spending close to 40k on this one, that i'm better off keeping it, even if it sits in the shed unregistered (doesn't yet)

Car modding is in your blood, and it's cheaper to maintain something you have already spent thousands on than it is to sell it, then a year later want something like it again.

My attitude towards driving has changed, but not my attitude towards my car, I still love the kick from the turbo and the rough ride, i love looking over my shoulder through the cage, I love all the noises from the high mount turbo (and the underbonnet looks pretty lol) but I'm not interested in doing burnouts everywhere or drifting around every corner, I would prefer to do that on the track, I feel that is as close to "growing up" as i will get

Absolutely everything this gentleman has said is correct and applies to my situation/reply i would of had to you.

Just to add, what you may be doing is no different to the people who have had their Monaro/Pontiac/Go Go mobile/Volvo/Porsche cup car/Ferrari/Hakosuko GTR or Model T ford in the shed for many years :)

Never too old for it. I'm 32, have made the ceffy track only and now drive an old man daily that can tow, carry the dogs, etc. In one way or another I'm always going to play with cars, be it drifting, getting a 4WD and modding that or building an old cruiser with a modern engine & creature comforts when I'm 60.

You might find that you'll sell the car but take on another project or different type of car to feed the habit.

I got out of it a few years back. Still trying to clear out all the shit that goes with it, though.

With a mortgage, child, no fulltime work, a wedding in the works, and a busniess that's struggling a little, I'd have no spare time or cash for it anyway.

I'll come back to it later on in life. I don't miss it all that much, though.

Never too old man, if its any testament to the cause just look at all the 40-60+ "car enthusiasts" out there, tinkering away on whatever favourite platform, going to those gentlemanly classic cruise/sprint/whatever else events.

I sorta went through this thought process a little while ago, until when i weighed up my "grown up" car options, I... just felt dead inside :unsure:

That is unless money isn't an issue...

Edited by HumanHefner

Yeah that's my thoughts exactly, I've poured lots of money and lots of my hard work on this thing, that's why even though I've had the thought of selling up over the last few years I've never done it.

age is all in your mind dude. i'm 29 and still love it.

how does buying a new car and selling an old one equal a money top up? and a vw is so f**king gay and will kill you once it starts falling apart after the warranty ends.

surely you aren't still paying off the 180?

lol huh sif still paying off the 180. What I meant with top up money is that I could use the extra (say 10-13k) to get a higher end model of the Jetta (147TSI) if I go that way.

Absolutely everything this gentleman has said is correct and applies to my situation/reply i would of had to you.

Just to add, what you may be doing is no different to the people who have had their Monaro/Pontiac/Go Go mobile/Volvo/Porsche cup car/Ferrari/Hakosuko GTR or Model T ford in the shed for many years smile.png

For some reason, in my eyes those cars aren't classed in the eyes of the public as hoon cars/Jap crap/toys etc.

I just feel that getting into my 180, although I love the thing, I feel a bit old for it. If it was a GTR then maybe I'd have a different view on it.

Never too old man, if its any testament to the cause just look at all the 40-60+ "car enthusiasts" out there, tinkering away on whatever favourite platform, going to those gentlemanly classic cruise/sprint/whatever else events.

I sorta went through this thought process a little while ago, until when i weighed up my "grown up" car options, I... just felt dead inside :unsure:

That is unless money isn't an issue...

Same as above. Although if I did keep it, the "hoon" stigma it has may change in 20 years time.

Thanks for the input so far... Feeling the love lol :wub:

Just need to grow a bigger pair and put my foot down with the misses :lol:

Cheers,

Andy

Iknowthatfeelbro.jpg

My car has sat in my garage for over 12months now has only been turned over a few times. Defect makes it hard to return to stock... like you are stripping years of research, money and time of the car. It makes me depressed just thinking about it :(

Then you think, return to stock and sell it... get it out of your mind and get on with life and return to a project when finances are better, and that little 4 banger NA piece of shit that you drive just because it's good on fuel and cheap to rego to go to A to B just makes your mind numb. Modern day cars are so uninspiring and not fun to drive at all.

But in saying that, I want to keep mine forever... as like you stated, spending so much money on it, having so many spare parts and new bits not even attached to the car just makes you realise that selling it would only cover a fraction of what you spent on it, only to go to some dumb kid who will probably gutter rash the rims, remove the carefully selected suspension to install a cheap set of Chinese shit, replace the worn expensive racing pads for some off the shelf generic pad, screw up the geometry by lowring the shit out of the car and probably fill the sparse boot with f**king subs to be fully hetic yo!

I'd rather put the car down then let that happen. If the car was an animal, it would be the only humain option.

I'm going to go and sit in my car now with my photo album of events and cruises I attended with it over the last 10 years :cry:

you're 30?? you only look 21/22. i reckon it's more about circumstances in life, and not age. if you love them why move on? so many people try and leave the scene only to buy a similar car 12 months later.

Its time to sell up when the car sits in a garage collecting dust for the last 3 years and the only money being spent is for rego

Im 42 and dont think im too old to be driving my s15. Cops tend to leave me alone when they see an "older" guy driving and my insurance is fairly cheap.

I don't think you can treat age as being a defining factor - its only if you're turning into a Detective Murtaugh and no longer enjoying it that its an issue... pic for relevance...35levq.jpg

Edited by Wannabe S14/15 owner

I'm 34 ad still love my S14. I have always been into cars. Been married for 10years and have 3 kids. 14,10 and 5.

It took a few years for my wife to realize how much having a hobby makes me happy and keeps me from being a grumpy frustrated person. The kIds love helping me clean and work on it.

My 14 year old absolutely loves when I pick her up from school in the Silvia.

I think every guy needs an outlet. Especially when u work full time, have a mortgage, kids, married etc.

I had a few years when I didn't have a car to work on and I drove the misses crazy from boredom, until she actually said I needed to go and get a hobby car. Lol....I love my wife!!!

I can guarantee you people who still have their Monaros/SLR 5000's etc we're classed as hoons back in their day and 99% definately were.

This.

I think every guy needs an outlet.

Also This.

Edited by TheApothecary

Don't fall into the whole "I'm this age now so I should be doing X"... Like this customer I spoke with once. Goes "Oh well I'm 40 now so I should be listening to this radio station" and I was :huh: dafuq dude. Whatever happened to doing whatever makes you feel happy instead of trying to fit yourself into some lame society age based pigeonhole?

I'm 32 and cop a little bit of crap for driving a 200, some people calling it a teenagers car but I couldn't care less

Yep I couldn't give a rip what people think.

I like my car, it makes me happy so everyone else can get stuffed!!

Turning 30 this year, still driving and modifying my 180SX.. it still hasn't reached that perfect image i have in my head yet.

As others have said, if you sold your car and bought something else you would still more than likely start modifying that if that's what you do for kicks.

Unless you look like an 80 year old grandpa i don't see any issues driving an S13

What's wrong with an 80 year old Grandpa driving an S13?

I don't think there's a time where you are too old.

I think there just comes a time when you decide to put your pride and joy in the shed for a few years. I've got 2 in my shed that i haven't touched in months or years, yet i will never sell them.

What's wrong with an 80 year old Grandpa driving an S13?

At the moment it would be a bit weird. Give it another 30-40 years, hell even just 20 years and people will expect it.

I'm turning 30 this year and have no plans on selling my s14 even with a wedding and a baby on the way. I think if you don't want to sell don't you will never be to old, only reason to get rid off it is if your not having any enjoyment out of it or don't think you will again

Turning 30 as well, was initially going to sell up and move up (r34 gtr) but with a mortgage, that is just not possible so i've decided to just keep it and set it up for track

Got a daily now so it just sits in garage and gets driven when i feel like it

Just tough when you get targeted by cops

It would be a huge shame for anyone to give up something they love because there worried of what people may think

Wow it's good to know all you blokes are around the same age as me, if not older :lol:

Guess you all have also grown up with ns.com and your Silvia's so it's not just me.

I've had quite a few mates that have moved on from the Jap car scene and off this forum so felt the odd one out. Married and kids etc. And the others are still a couple of years my junior.

Since hitting 30, and the misses thinking about starting a family in the not too distance future, that got me thinking more. And seems logical to move on and get a more pratical car.

That said, I always pictured keeping my car until my future son/daughter turned the age where they start driving etc, and appreciate cars together.

Also all the input from you all also confirms to me why I'm still on the forum and still loving the 180, all Silvia's even.

Cheers,

Andy

you're 30?? you only look 21/22.

Lol Asian genes for the win ^_^

Cheers,

Andy

you're 30?? you only look 21/22.

Lol Asian genes for the win ^_^

Cheers,

Andy

Don't worry, you'll balloon out when you hit menopause.

I'm 34 and planning on building my 180sx to the point where its my middle aged track only car to be towed by the "family car". I'm one major defect and the family car away from achieving this i guess :-) Owned this 180 since Easter 2007 and would rather sell off my hill-climb datsun1200 and motorbike to keep building the 180sx so I can fund the upcoming wedding.

My daughter is 16 in 18months and she is hanging to drive my car on her L's.

I'm not sure how I feel about that yet?!

Im 28 this year and im not selling my s14 anytime soon.. still havnt had my fun in it. Theres a few old people driving imports round my area..50 yr old lady that drives a s14 with a navan kit and a red s14a that a 40-50yr old guy drives. Also another older dude that I lived next door to was in hes 60s and he was importing some nice imports (nissan and toyota) a few years back. He still has an immaculate 2tone s13... just to name a few but theres heaps more..lol