Sign in to follow this  
Chappy

Share with me your "4D experience"

Lately i have been noticing these hopeless attempts to gain my attention in advertisements by promising a "4D experience".

My first memory of this rubbish term would have to be the hyperbolic presentations of the original PS3 promising "4D gaming". More recently i visited Centrepoint Tower in Sydney (re-named AGAIN to Sydney Tower) to check out the observation deck and was greeted with a poster for the Sydney Eye 4D Experience.

Upon arrival i discovered that you cannot simply pay to ride the lift to the observation deck, no, now you buy a ticket for this 'experience'. I knew as soon as i saw this i was going to lose valuable minutes from my life watching a rubbish piece of cinema slapped together in an attempt to dress up what is essentially a lookout into something more.

What is it that qualifies a marketing manager to define a 4th dimension that has eluded our most brilliant physicists for centuries?

What criteria does an 'experience' have to meet in order to gain that glorious definition? In my experience all you need is a mist spray and some cheap rumbling floor.

Now that i think about it, maybe the 4th dimension was not a half assed stimulation of my senses but was instead the passage through time that i endured while i was forced to watch this blockbuster?

Have you yourself had the (dis)pleasure of experiencing this newly discovered dimension? Share your story.

Edited by Chappy

I was watching a TED talk on "4D Printing" the other day. To be honest, I don't know what else you'd call it, but essentially, it was the idea that you could print things in 3d to a specific design process, add entropy and it would either assemble itself (ie, in the case of furniture, shake it until it assembles itself, no "insert peg a into slot b" "THAT'S WHAT SHE SAID!"), or react to things (eg, in the case of underground water pipes, they could dilate or contract to pump water along, based on some other form of input).

I'm totally you with this 4D experience bullshit though. Movie World had some 4D thing ages ago, where it'd play you a section of a film in 3d, then the back of the seat in front of you would do things like spray a mist of water at you when a ship was in rough seas, etc (been a while ago, so I can't remember what the other things were :P). Overall I was too young to take offense to it though :P

I was watching a TED talk on "4D Printing" the other day. To be honest, I don't know what else you'd call it, but essentially, it was the idea that you could print things in 3d to a specific design process, add entropy and it would either assemble itself (ie, in the case of furniture, shake it until it assembles itself, no "insert peg a into slot b" "THAT'S WHAT SHE SAID!"), or react to things (eg, in the case of underground water pipes, they could dilate or contract to pump water along, based on some other form of input).

I'm totally you with this 4D experience bullshit though. Movie World had some 4D thing ages ago, where it'd play you a section of a film in 3d, then the back of the seat in front of you would do things like spray a mist of water at you when a ship was in rough seas, etc (been a while ago, so I can't remember what the other things were :P). Overall I was too young to take offense to it though :P

I saw that TED talk too, but I really think that "4D" is simply a coined up marketing word for now. Until there is such a thing defined, it will only serve as a marketing tool.

Re: Chappy,

There is a theater in singapore I went to that had moving chairs and a stick came from behind the chair to poke you at a certain screen. quite lame really.

Perhaps the best, in relation to "rides", there is a transformer ride in sinapore that had you sitting in a cart, wearing 3d glasses and the cart moved with the action, on a track, back and froth and up and down in a combination between a ride and simulator type thing with 3d glasses and moving air and water spray. It was actually quite enjoyable as the 3d screen seemed to be wrapped around the cart adding to the immersion.

Edited by Fire_Child22

They have that at Universal Studios, its a ride though, not a '4D' movie.

;They have that at Universal Studios, its a ride though, not a '4D' movie.

I'd say it's the best "4D" experience and you did ask for, and I quote

Have you yourself had the (dis)pleasure of experiencing this newly discovered dimension? Share your story.

that was my expereince, sorry no refunds. Complaints can be emailed to hardenthef**kup@yourmums.now

thank you come again

:P

I was with Chappy during this 4D movie and can confirm it's crap haha. I struggled to even call it 3D. Nothing really popped out of the screen.

I've been to a few in the USA and it's all a bit of a gimmick really. Water spraying you, little air jets used to make it feel like you've got spiders running up your legs, vibrating chairs.

Tesseract.gif

According to Carl Sagan, all of those sides (including the transforming ones and the ones in the centre) should be the same length at any one time. We end up seeing like this because we live in a three dimensional world.

Edited by _R_J_K_

4D databases are sort of annoying.

this is all i have to offer the discussion.