Sign in to follow this  
SpotMan

Gq death wobble, Help.

Sup guysss

So i own a ford Maverick (gq Patrol) with a 3" lift and Adjustable panhard rods. when i go over bumps with my left wheel the whole front end and steering shakes all over the place and i have to come to a stop to make it go away. car is currently undriveable and almost made me crash when towing my car trailer.

Now ive been told its a common issue with them if the have over a 2" lift. have also been told you need to put these plates in the swivel housings...

Any idea what these plates are called and how hard they are to replace?

Cheers guys

Edited by SpotMan

sounds like swivel hub bearings man. pull out the plates 1 at a time and if there is a shim fitted, remove it and go for another drive (also inspect the bearings) if that fixes it the bearings are worn.

assuming you have already checked/adjusted the wheel bearings and panhard rod bushes.

also wouldn't hurt to fit a set if offset caster bushes if you haven't already

checked the panhard rod and they look like new but i'll have a better sus on the weekend when i get time.

Someone said they over tightened the hub shims from factory so if you pull one out and tension them it should solve the issue, someone also said urethane panhard bushes make it worse and to replace them with nissan rubber ones.

Thinking i may just take it to Pro4x4 and get them to do it as i spoke to him last week and he knew the exact issue (he has 3 gq's)

lack of caster is probably the main cause for the wobble. caster plates bolt to the front diff & correct the caster angle after the lift, can also get caster bushes but won't flex as well due to the offset bush.

king pin bearings & king ping bearing preload is the other major cause of the "death wobble" they need to be shimed correctly to acheive the correct preload tension.

search on pootrol4x4.com for death wobbles

As above, caster will be waaaaay out, I have put a few caster correction bushes in after lifting them, its the cheapest and easiest way around it. A steering damper is a good idea as well if you have big tyres.

Stephanie

So I should try castor and panhard rod bushes then get an alignment before throwing money to someone else? Already chucked a new damper is as I thought that was the issue

Just the offset caster bushes, then an alignment. there are a couple of different offsets from memory, depending on the lift. You will most likely need a press to get them in and out tho.

Stephanie

Save you wasting your time spence

I put the 2 degree cAstor bushes in.

I'd chuck under the car where te drop boxes would go. Make sure the rubber holding the FUXKIBG thing that is skipping my mid and can't think what it's called.

Fml. Mental blank +1

Rhing may just need an alignment..will have a sus of the bushes tonight tho. May also have to check the plates on the hub?

Rhing may just need an alignment..will have a sus of the bushes tonight tho. May also have to check the plates on the hub?

RADIUS ARMS.

f**k that was killing my brain.

Check the radius arm bushes are ok

So I should try castor and panhard rod bushes then get an alignment before throwing money to someone else? Already chucked a new damper is as I thought that was the issue

steering damper will only mask the issue, not fix it.

Save you wasting your time spence

I put the 2 degree cAstor bushes in.

I'd chuck under the car where te drop boxes would go. Make sure the rubber holding the FUXKIBG thing that is skipping my mid and can't think what it's called.

Fml. Mental blank +1

2* caster bushes & a 3" lift it will still be lacking caster.

i'd piss the caster bushes off & fit genuine nissan rubber bushes in the front of the radius arms & get some caster plates or drop boxes.

ehh might just take it to pro 4x4 and see what hes going to charge to do it all... cant be f**ked and dont have the time to do it myself :(

Sheeeeeiittt just had a sus and these plates aren't that cheap. but this seems to be what everyone says solves the issue.

Edited by SpotMan

Hey mate, i have a gq ute and i have drop boxes fitted to the radius arms, much better than caster bushes as u get ur wheelbase back aswell. Caster bushes do fix the problem but ur radius arms are still on a downward angle to the diff when they should be as flat as possible.

http://www.suspensionstuff.com.au/shop/product_info.php?products_id=5576

These are the ones that i got in the kit i bought, allows alot smoother ride than caster bushes, just cost a bit more

Just another option mate

Cheers Wally

So took it to Pro4x4 today and turns out alot of shit was f**ked on this.

Right hand wheel bearing was f**kED

Front panhard rod bushes were split and pushed out the side.

Radius arm - diff bushes we changed to offset ones but installed wrong so we split.

Radius arm to chassis bushes were half missing

Draglink was non adjustable and had alot of free play

Rear panhard rod bushes didnt exist

Rear brake lines were under tension (werent replaced with extended ones during the lift kit)

Rear sway bar links were to short and had about 2" of free play in them

Rear sway bar D bushes didnt exist.

SOOOO its all getting fixed. ended up going drop boxes, new urethane bushes, Adjustable draglink, extended Rose jointed Swaybar links, Exhaust is getting dumped before the diff and longer brake lines.

All up costing me a bit over 1k but should drive like a new bus!