Sign in to follow this  
Flying180

How can I get around country blocking on Android?

Problem: trying to access Google Books from Vietnam, but it's saying Books isn't available in this country.

Using just my Nexus 7,how can I download some books from Google Play?

You can get an account with companies like Witopia, then use their VPN service to pretend you are anywhere in the world. This will cost money though. Also, I think on Android you need root access to use openvpn. PPTP is a lot cheaper, but it isn't as secure if you are using it on public, or hotel Wifi.

If you have a linux server at home you have access to you can route traffic through that and that will also get around the problem.

Something that lets you connect to google play through a proxy should be enough. I'm sure there'd be an app or two on the market for that. Once you've got that kind of app, just grab a public access proxy address for Aus or wherever and you're sweet. Google is your friend as far as getting hold of a free proxy goes. Bare in mind that anything free will probably kick you off if you start scarfing down a sizable chunks of data though.

Thanks guys, but it sounds too hard for someone relaxing in a 5 star resort :lol:

I should mention the internet is shit, so it'll most likely drop out without being able to do too much.

This different region thing is bullshit!

Can't be 5 star if the internet is shit! :P

Can't be 5 star if the internet is shit! :P

Lol, there's wifi coverage all over the resort, including the beach, but the speed is crap. Maybe the extensive coverage is the reason lol?