Sign in to follow this  
camgibbs13

180sx wiper problem

hey guys!

so pretty much finished building my 180, having a little dilemma with the wipers. they seem to just bog out and get stuck halfway up, if i lift the wipers off the window then put them back down they might move a little further but they're pretty much clapped out, running pretty slowly and getting stuck. do you think it will be the pivots? or the motor? got basically a whole new arm and pivot point set but im guessing its from an s14 or something as the arms are different lengths and the bolts on the actual pivot points are way too small for the wipers, and the ball joints dont fit the arms. before i go back to try and sus a new one do you guys think it will be the pivots/arms or would it be the motor? the actual wipers (blades and the arm the blades clip into) themselves have just been replaced.

thanks!

cam

P.s if I lift take the actual wipers off the pivots run pretty smooth its just when yhe pressure of both wipers is on the windscreen it cant handle moving them both

Considering it's stopping once gravity gets a little stronger (going uphill so to speak) it could be two things:

1. This is the easiest check so do this first, pull the wiper arm off and check to ensure the internal thread in the wiper where it sits on the pivots isn't chewed out (from what you have described I don't think this is the issue, but doesn't hurt to check).

2. I suspect this is more likely the issue, the motor is on it's last legs. Because you have pulled the arms off and the motor works fine means that it's not creating enough power to move a stronger load, but when you load it up doesn't have enough torque to move the wipers.

Also consider checking the voltage supply TO the motor to make sure you're getting enough power to the motor and it's not a problem in your circuit.