Sign in to follow this  
hungrytoheal

Strange running issue - 180SX - SR20DET

Hi guys,

Ever since I've had my 1995 180SX Blacktop SR20DET, I've had an issue with it.

If I let the car idle in neutral for 3+ minutes and begin to drive off, the car will rev to approximately 2K and then immediately start aggressively choking and "spluttering" (kinda sounds like it's hit the limiter) and the revs will not increase until I shift into second, in which case it will get to 2K and the same will happen, until I shift again into 3rd and everything will start to operate normally again.

I also think maybe my car isn't running as good as it should be. Sometimes it feels a little sluggish while I'm driving (takes a while to build speed, increase revs) especially at low RPM, other times it doesn't feel too bad.

I've replaced:

The fuel pump

O2 Sensor

Spark plugs

Air filter w/ pod filter

No major mods to the car... intercooler and piping is the only notable mod.

I reckon it's ECU/timing related but I couldn't find the plug in the driver side kick panel or under the dash or anything.

Any ideas?

Edited by hungrytoheal

Limp mode... knock sensor would be next on the list, or check ECU for error codes.

Checked coil packs and ignitor ?

Only certain things can be detected as failed by the ECU, and coil packs/ignitors is not one of them. AFM, coolant temp sensor, throttle position sensor and the ECU itself are the items that can activate limp mode.

For your symptoms I would guess AFM and/or associated wiring, as an AFM failure will cause a fuel cut at 2400 rpm.

Give the AFM element a clean with carby cleaner (or special AFM cleaner if you want).

http://www.plmsdevelopments.com/sr_setup_tips.shtml#9.afm_cleaning

Also check the connectors and wiring for signs of damage or faulty connection.

If it still misbehaves after all of that, try to "borrow" an AFM from a friend to rule out the AFM unit itself. If that is no good then only wiring is left.

I would just swap above parts from a mates running SR one at a time to find the culprit .

As stated above, check your air flow meter. Try n fit another for diagnosis. Cleaning them alone may not fix the problem.

I had the same problem in my old SR 180sx.

I was linked to the plug coming loose on the AFM. Once i clipped it back in, ran fine.

Thanks for the replies guys.

I've already cleaned the AFM and it looked pretty good anyway, but still worth trying to replace it and seeing if that works.

I just think it's wierd that it only happens if I leave it idling for a while.

Might try the TPS as well.

Thanks.

That's exactly what happens when you unplug the afm. I'd be testing the hell out of it.