Sign in to follow this  
Jason12

2014 F1 Discussion

Testing Facts

The opening day of running was extremely quiet, with just 93 laps completed from eight drivers and cars on Tuesday. The on-track action then ramped up, with teams attempting longer runs. The final day was the busiest day of the test, with 688 laps completed.

Teams had a maximum of 25 sets of tyres each at their disposal for Jerez. In total, 18 of those sets were selected by Pirelli (six 'winter', four hard, two medium, and three each of intermediate and wet). The teams were then allowed to choose in advance seven more sets of tyres to test per car, up to their total maximum of 25. In total, 135 sets of tyres are allowed per team for testing purposes throughout 2014.

Owing to the huge number of new variables at work, and the very wide spread of lap times seen throughout the four days, there was no real significance in the time difference between the compounds that were tested at Jerez. More meaningful tyre data should be seen in Bahrain, with all the teams expected to be present.

A total of 22 drivers took part in the Jerez test, completing 1,470 laps and 6,509 kilometres.

The equivalent Jerez test last year took in 3,531 laps and 15,634 kilometres.

McLaren driver Kevin Magnussen set the fastest time of the Jerez test, with a time of 1m23.276s on Thursday. By way of comparison, the fastest time at the Jerez test last year was 1m17.879s, set by Felipe Massa in a Ferrari.

The highest number of total laps completed at this year's Jerez test by any one driver was Nico Rosberg, who racked up 188 laps with Mercedes.

Edited by Jason12

The sides of the 2014 cars are lower and so require the nose of all cars to also be lower otherwise drivers would cop a nose to the head in the case of a T-bone.

testing in bahrain has commenced. the cars are already lapping at last years race pace and the top 4 guys all put in over 60 laps. Red Bull still struggling with vettel only managing 14 laps.

Will be interesting to see how much quicker they will get from now till melbourne and how drivers will cope with the new 8 speed gearboxes and higher torque from the turbo engines. hamilton has said that in jerez last year in the v8's they would use 1st and 2nd gears for the slow corners but now its 4th gear because theres too much torque for the tyres to handle.

How the two compressors connected through the engine?

With a shaft I assume. You need to remember this is a complete ground up brand new engine so to design it either with the shaft through the engine or slightly above it wouldn't be a huge technical challenge. Great idea!

Also I think if Renault can get a decent engine together the Newy RedBull will be awesome also. The chassis looks the goods but the power train is miles behind the Mercedes unit. I bet the honda engineers are loving having the extra year to get their donk sorted with all of this info and I bet Mclaren are super competitive next year.

I would be furious if i was the mercedes boys. This has let their brilliant idea open to competitors to try and copy.

I would be furious if i was the mercedes boys. This has let their brilliant idea open to competitors to try and copy.

Can't be copied this year, teams are locked in to their engine design as all teams registered their engine designs before the season started and agreed to homologation date of Feb 28th.